Thread: Capstan winch question

Capstan winch question

I'm ashamed how long it's been since I've spoken at a meeting Life launched some curve balls, but I guess me posting again means I'm getting better.

So the 109 was hauled into the garage after the deployment where she was neglectfully left in the elements. Took some serious starting fluid, but she eventually fired. She needed a new harness so she got one, and lots of little things I'd meant to fix along the way actually got fixed. Upgraded some things, changed some things out to suit my needs along the way.

As I was cleaning up the fog light wiring I started thinking about the Capstan winch since ... well, I was there.

The thing is, I think I'm missing a bracket for it somewhere. Basically I have the actuator handle on the bumper, but moving it toward the breakfast doesn't engage the starter dog - I actually have to reach down and maneuver it into place, which doesn't seem right to me.

Anybody have any intel on this? Is there a separate bracket underneath? While I don't see myself using the Capstan for extraction, you never know right?

1964 SIIA 109 | 1973 SIII 88 | 2000 Disco II

Series Restoration
    Buchanan Family Home
    Rover Alley

might post some pics, there is more than one type of capstan and more than one bracket underneath

Don't have a clue , just wanted to say Hi, it has been a long time since I have seen you post, hope all is well.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Leafsprung I'll snap some pictures this afternoon so you can see what I'm working with.

Mike, yes it has been a while ... too long probably. Things are going as they go my friend

Series Restoration
    Buchanan Family Home
    Rover Alley

I put a link to this thread on the mendo_recce list, hoping someone there might help. You would surely have some luck if you ask your question on the LRO list. An old Series II factory workshop manual I had, as I recall, had a complete parts diagram for the capstan winch. If you don't have any luck getting answers on-line, PM me and I'll try to get the guy to whom I gave the manual take a look. Also, take a look at https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4Ao...GZm/edit?pli=1
    Last edited by Granny; 05-21-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Granville aka Gran or Granny
    '06 LR3 SE7 V8
    North California Wine Country
    http://home.comcast.net/~teacupfarm/index.html

Okay ... I had time to dig through my documentation and all I have is the original cover sheet of the winch so no help on parts there. It is a Fairey Capstan, and after doing some digging, while mine doesn't look exactly the same, it appears as though the bracket mine is missing is directly in front of the starter dog linked here in the bottom right corner.

After staring at mine for a bit I seem to be missing that whole section, part numbers 63,65,58,62,66,60,59, and 58.

Anybody got a line on Fairey parts from the 60's?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2012-05-21 at 9.50.17 PM.jpg  

Series Restoration
    Buchanan Family Home
    Rover Alley