Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coil Helper Air Bags with a 3" lift

Coil Helper Air Bags with a 3" lift

Wondered if anyone has any experience with the coil helper bags from Firestone. Looks like they are a simple airbag setup (can be manually inflated) designed to fit within the coil print. I've had trouble with my springs sagging when towing -- and also when heavily loaded with gear in the back.

Would assume the correct play would be to inflate them when loaded up -- and then deflate when not under the heavy load any more..
    Chuck (KI6WSR)

2004 White Disco II with 3" RTE Lift with Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 ProComp Tyres & wheels, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage. ARB Lockers Front & Rear, heavy duty rear axles, drive shafts, and CV joints from GBR. CB and Ham.

At one point in history, we fitted air bag helpers (I believe they were from Firestone) to an extended wheelbase Dodge van. We used it to haul a 3100lb. road race Camaro, (haven't a clue what the tilt bed trailer weighed) up and down the West Coast. The set up worked well, with no issues. The van's springs were fine for a normal loads, but when you loaded 4-5 guys, spares, the toolbox, etc., it sagged. A quick shot of air, & all was fine. After the weekend, & we unloaded the behemoth, drop the psi and the ride was back to almost acceptable. Many racers used the same set up, as the tow vehicle was the daily driver. When by a wife, they needed to get some comfort back into the ride. Personal experience, if one forgets to drop the air pressure, vehicles can be evil handling in the wet!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    "I am never more serious than when I am joking."

Stupid question........Would a Boge Unit leveler fit up to a Disco ?
    1988 RRC Truck: 4.2, LT230, 2" OME with Bilsteins, 265 BFG Muds
    Where did all that money go ?

Quote Originally Posted by great gormless beast View Post
    At one point in history, we fitted air bag helpers (I believe they were from Firestone) to an extended wheelbase Dodge van. We used it to haul a 3100lb. road race Camaro, (haven't a clue what the tilt bed trailer weighed) up and down the West Coast. The set up worked well, with no issues. The van's springs were fine for a normal loads, but when you loaded 4-5 guys, spares, the toolbox, etc., it sagged. A quick shot of air, & all was fine. After the weekend, & we unloaded the behemoth, drop the psi and the ride was back to almost acceptable. Many racers used the same set up, as the tow vehicle was the daily driver. When by a wife, they needed to get some comfort back into the ride. Personal experience, if one forgets to drop the air pressure, vehicles can be evil handling in the wet!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    I am thinking about giving it a shot, but am wondering what size I would need to get to work with a OME 3' lift -- and whether the Air Lift 1000 or the Firestones work best for a lifted D2. I've got Bilstein shocks and get pretty good articulation -- wonder if those airbags would have an impact on my articulation?
    Chuck (KI6WSR)

2004 White Disco II with 3" RTE Lift with Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 ProComp Tyres & wheels, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage. ARB Lockers Front & Rear, heavy duty rear axles, drive shafts, and CV joints from GBR. CB and Ham.

The main problem is you will loose all you compression articulation even if the bags are deflated and they will get damaged.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Does anyone make a mega heavy duty 3" lift spring? If you are towing this trailer on paved roads articulation doesn't really matter. If it sags a bunch when loaded up for the weekend you need to find lighter passengers and bring less beer.

I would suggest figuring out roughly how much all your gear weighs and how much the back sags. Then you could contact the manufacturer of your springs and see what they think. Are you sagging within spec or are you outside the range of acceptable sag? I would imagine that old springs would bring about more sag than desired.
    You could also contact the air spring manufacturer and see what helper spring they would suggest.

Inflated airbags, are like very stiff springs. Articulation will go away. By doing it's job, the bag limits compression, which limits suspension movement Great for on road driving, probably questionable for trundling about off road. For your question about working with a 3" lift, that needs to be answered by the manufacturer, or one of their retailers (maybe). Quick one to start with is Summit Racing, I found this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FI...n/?prefilter=1

They may have all the bag dimensions for other applications. Maybe something with the same/close diameter, & a longer length?
    This is one of those instances where progressive wound springs would be appropriate.

Add in:
    I just went looking at Firestone:
    http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/s...ationGuide.pdf

http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/s...011Catalog.pdf

Plus contact info via the website.
    Last edited by great gormless beast; 05-20-2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: additional info.
    "I am never more serious than when I am joking."

Quote Originally Posted by Keanan View Post
    Does anyone make a mega heavy duty 3" lift spring? If you are towing this trailer on paved roads articulation doesn't really matter. If it sags a bunch when loaded up for the weekend you need to find lighter passengers and bring less beer.

I would suggest figuring out roughly how much all your gear weighs and how much the back sags. Then you could contact the manufacturer of your springs and see what they think. Are you sagging within spec or are you outside the range of acceptable sag? I would imagine that old springs would bring about more sag than desired.
    You could also contact the air spring manufacturer and see what helper spring they would suggest.
    OME 763 HD load rated coils should easily handle the job.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Mike,

How do the Rovertym heavy duty springs compare to the OME 763's? Would the 763's be a lot stiffer?
    Chuck (KI6WSR)

Other suggestion would be to get the double rear shock setup from Terra Firma or others and then run some Rancho Air Shocks back there Chuck. Easily mounted, easy to source. Heck, Rancho used to sell a kit to "lift your jeep" with these things. If you run them both to the same 'port' it will help with ride when axles are level, but literally push down the opposite side on articulation. Run them with 2 fill points and they will be as firm as you like. But always that firm.

In my previous days, I used the actual rancho set on a lowered truck. Used to load that thing full and drive for days. One shock per corner and it rode like a dream (with leafs/torsion).

Best part is parts are easy to find, external to the spring and easily removed.
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB