Thread: LR2. Worth considering for a DD?

LR2. Worth considering for a DD?

Hi All, I wanted to get the latest opinions on LR2's. Our local dealer is clearing out their 2011 inventory by knocking off $10K off the price. We have been driving a loaner for 4 days and are on the fence, but the killer pricing is very enticing. Thus I have a few specific questions for LR2 owners or those who have lots of exposure.

1) Rear seat cooling: The LR2 does not have any vents for the rear seats! WTH! :-( How good does the AC and heater work in cooling and heating the rear seat passengers? We have a 2005 Cayenne and the AC does not cool the rear seats very well and is very inconvenient on those hot Alabama summer days.

2) Bells and whistles: What options do you absoutely love and would never do without and which ones are more of a hinderence and pain?

3) Towing: How well does it handle a small trailer? We have a restored 1962 Apache Eagle that weighs about 600-700 lbs when loaded and we would like to use the LR2 as our tow vehicle when our trip does not include hitting hard trails. We will use the DI for the hard trail trips.

Thanks!
    Chris D.
    '11 LR2 ???
    Chris D.
    "Alabama Red" MUDY_OVL
    '95 DI

What are you going to use it for?
    Tey have their own problems like the LR3 and 4's with differentials and t/cases along with an engine that is a night mare to repair when it has small issues.
    Just keep this in mind also, if you buy one get an extended warranty from Rover to cover your back side.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Mike, It will be my daily driver. I am super lucky and have a 15mi commute (that's round trip) Yeah, you can hate me if you want. We will also use it for towing our trailer to the campsite it we don't plan on hitting any hard trails.

Thanks for the heads up on the diffs and t-case. Will definitely look into the extended warranty if we purchase.
    Chris D.
    "Alabama Red" MUDY_OVL
    '95 DI

Quote Originally Posted by Mudy_ovl View Post
    ...I am super lucky and have a 15mi commute (that's round trip) Yeah, you can hate me if you want...
    I couldn't help but laugh. My commute each morning involves me walking to my driveway, then climbing into my patrol car/office. It really sucks when there is snow on the ground and I have to shovel my way to my office. Yeah, you can hate me if you want. LOL (poke poke).

Colin

Hope this won't turn you off from an LR2 completely, but I bought my 60 yo mom an 08. It was a similar deal with the 10k drop in price etc. I tried so hard to talk her into an 04 disco (was same price point) but she wouldn't budge b/c of the mpg issue. Anyway, she says it's the best car she's ever owned. Comfort and handling far superior to any other Japanese variety suv she's had. It does a nice job in the snow and her long gravel drive in the winter/wet months. The a/c seems to do just fine in Virginia. The only negative things I will say are tire cost and cargo space. I can't seem to get her a set of tires for under $1100 no matter how hard I try and shop around. Which is sad b/c I can get a decent set for my 3 for about $900. And the cargo area is a bit on the small side. The engine has got some pep but unsure how the tranny would handle moderate to heavy towing-something to look into there. It's a nice ride but I personally would not pass up something like a 4runner if the price was similar. I do love me some land rover, but faced with racking up miles on a dd I'm not sure I would pick an lr. Only saying that for the maintenance costs. My 2 cents.
    Brian

06 LR3/D3 SE7, 275/65/18 BFG AT KO2's