Thread: 4wd shifter wont come out of Low

4wd shifter wont come out of Low

I have a 1993 RRC , its been setting for a month or two wile fixing anti freeze leak, went to shift 4wd into low and after fooling with it for awhile it finally went in, now it wont come out of low at all, ive tried everything, Open to anybodys opinion. Thanks Robbie

Unless something is preventing the linkage movement (which may explain why it wouldn't go in, in the first place), my only suggestion is to get the pressure off the gears by getting the rig going straight and level. Then encourage it out while moving without load (excel/decel).

It's should be that hard to get in/out so that's another issue. I'd go through everything to get it cleaned, inspected and lubed. You do have the free service manual?! (Link is on my footer tag)

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

I found this posted at another site, it might make sense, im in the process of replace the console and i have everything unhooked.

On 93 and up Classics, an interlock solenoid was added to prevent the transfer case being moved out of either High or Low range unless the main gearbox is in neutral and the ignition is switched on. The shifter has been known to jam in High range; the cause can be electrical or mechanical. Mike Lenaghan had both problems on his '94 Classic; he found no reference to the interlock solenoid in the shop manual, though a circuit diagram appeared in the owner's handbook. Chris Self experienced the problem on his 94 Classic LWB when he overloaded the circuit that powers this solenoid. He had an Engel refrigerator, Valentine One radar locator, and Sirius satellite radio all on at the same time--powered through the 12v lighter sockets. "This was fine, until I activated the heated seats." This blew fuse E1 (20A) under the front passenger (right side) seat, which also powers the interlock solenoid, so when he reached the went off road section of his trip he found could not shift into low range.

You bang on the money with the solenoid.
    But have you checked the basics and backed the car up to relieve torque wind up?