Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1978 109 rhd

If you're not in a hurry then the stock engine is a very good engine. They are incredibly robust (I've driven an 88 50 miles alternating between running on 2 and 1 cylinders).
    In good nick they are good runners. I've started them numerous times with a hand crank in Vermont winters.
    For more power without having to swap out the drive train a 200Tdi is a nice conversion and will bolt to the gearbox.
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

[EDIT:] Apologies for the redundancy--Somehow, it didn't show me the droves of replies you got till I already posted this one. Still some new and useful info below: [/EDIT]

Parts Suppliers:

There are others, but here are the main ones I use in no particular order. Just google them to get their websites. If you telephone any one of these places, they'll have very knowledgeable staff who are able to get you the specific part you need even since some of the later series rovers have different parts than the earlier ones (metric vs. imperial, etc.) and if a part is not shown on their websites, most of them can get whatever you need:

Rovers North
    Atlantic British
    British Pacific
    RovahFarm
    Rovers Down South

As for the parts catalogues and factory workshop manuals, you can download them all here (clickity-click).

The transfer cases are very robust and are all made by Land Rover themselves.

If it is the original engine and it is a gasoline engine, it is a 2.25 (2 1/4) liter petrol engine.

Almost every part that you'll need to fix a Series III rover (which is what you have) is available through the above suppliers, including brakes, engine and transmission/transfer case parts.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    The rear axle may be the optional Salisbury, pretty much the same as a DANA 60.
    IIRC, somewhere around 1973 and beyond 109s all the 109s got the Salisbury rear axle as standard equipment
    Last edited by crusader; 03-29-2012 at 02:05 PM.
    --Mark

"Spark plugs not required"

Quote Originally Posted by crusader View Post
    [EDIT:] IIRC, somewhere around 1973 and beyond 109s all the 109s got the Salisbury rear axle as standard equipment
    Yeah, I think you're right.
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.