Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1978 109 rhd

1978 109 rhd

Just a couple of quick questions. I'm new to this board and have been given the task of rebuilding a 1978 109 right hand drive. Where is a good place for parts, brakes, engine parts and accy's.
    Is there a diagram of the whole vehicle somewhere? I'm going into this blindly, and have all of the skills needed to do a rebuild, just don't know anything about these things.
    I should have some pictures in the next couple of weeks once it gets to my shop. I went and looked at it yesterday and it looks like a good project. The owner has given me a list of things he would like to do, so I'd like to get started and get some idea of where to turn for parts.

What engine does this thing have? it's a 4 cyl, but where do you get parts? As for the trans and transfer case, who makes those as well? Where do you get brakes for this too?
    Sorry if I repeat myself, it's not like I can go down to the local auto shop to buy parts, at least I think.

thank you in advance,

Greg

I'm pretty sure what you've got coming in is a Series, not a Range Rover. Try posting this up in the other Series sub-forum. I could be wrong, though.
    '04 Disco
    '89 RRC

Hey @ least he didn't call it a Defender

You need to definitely get a Workshop Manual but remember your car is technically a "grey" market car that was never sold here officially but is the same mechanically as a 74 109 which was sold here capiche?
    car still would have came with a 2.25 ltr and all were made by Land Rover.

I recommend British Pacific in Valencia CA and ask for Marty http://www.britishpacific.com/?gclid...FQcFRQodmwWm1Q
    95 4.6 Range Rover LWB 25th anniversary (Rovage)50230 cam/RPI ECU
    04 Range Rover
    87 white RRC
    93 Range Rover LWB Crawler 4.6

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqczzhsWOh8

NCLR #93

Thanks slohybrid,

you must be Italian? capiche? Anyways, yes any info that I can get on this thing would be of great help. I will try and ask the owner to send me some pictures since I didn't take any yesterday while I was there.
    I'm sure that this will be quite the rebuild knowing that most of the parts are not available here in the US, (I'm assuming)

Post up some pics. I have a right hand drive that I have been working on, I can give you leads to what and where I go.

Actually, 1967 was the last year 109's were sold in the US by LRNA.

As for parts, there are a lot of places to get them.
    DAP Enterprises
    Rovers North
    Rovahfarm
    Atlantic Briish
    Wise Owl
    BP Utah
    Rovers Down South
    Other places as well.

the Guns a Rovers forum would be a good place to hang out as it's mostly Series folks there.

The engine and drive train are all made by Land Rover unless someone has converted it to something else. The rear axle may be the optional Salisbury, pretty much the same as a DANA 60.
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

Moved to appropriate forum. And welcome!
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Thanks for all of the info so far. I just received the pictures from the owner and will try to post them up later tonight. He sent me a list of things that he would like to see done. The one question I have right now is, how are these little 4 cyl engines? Do you keep them or do an engine swap to something else? In my readings online it looks like it has a 72hp engine. I'm sure this thing is tired, but will be doing a leakdown on it to see what condition it is in.

Most people keep them and just live with the fact that they are slow but steady. I know many folks who use their Series trucks as their daily drivers. But some upgrade to larger engines...the old Chevy II four cylinder as used by Mercruiser in boats for years is a popular swap as they're plentiful. I'm not a Chevy guy so it's not a swap I'd even consider personally, but I have been thinking about swapping to something else at some point, perhaps a Mercedes diesel.

What's your list of things to be done on the truck?
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by TigerDan View Post
    Most people keep them and just live with the fact that they are slow but steady. I know many folks who use their Series trucks as their daily drivers. But some upgrade to larger engines...the old Chevy II four cylinder as used by Mercruiser in boats for years is a popular swap as they're plentiful. I'm not a Chevy guy so it's not a swap I'd even consider personally, but I have been thinking about swapping to something else at some point, perhaps a Mercedes diesel.

What's your list of things to be done on the truck?
    Merc inline 5 diesel is in my distant future of must haves.
    Jeremy P.

91' RRC Hunter Edition
    1995 RRC lwb