Thread: goodyear duratracs quick review

goodyear duratracs quick review

Excuse typos Motorola tablet is havinng some issues...

Goodyear duratracs 275/65/18 e rated

I'd have some outside pics but I was in flip flops and didn't want to trudge through the mud I'll grab some from tomorrow.

So i was back and forth between tires for the disco and had my eyes on Mtr kevlars but kept seeing the duratracs come up on searches.
    so figured the winter control of them matched with open lug pattern and quite road manners may be worth trying. I was a bit skeptical at first and kind of had buyers remorse based on look of a strictly off road tire and a designated climber. The duratracs are mean enough looking and definently alot more aggressive then the other all terrains as well as as aggressive as some mud terrains.

No more remorse it rained hard and the mud was 6-10 clay goo with a few water pockets and the mud just pushed and held the shape. The hill in the picture is not massive but short Kelly hump and STEEP. Truck from a stand still wouldn't make it up as the hill is the clay mud as well but a little (very little)
    Momentum to get it into rythm and get the tires to spin a smidge and clean out it went right up.
    I did go slow the first run and got the tires over the top and let traction control matched with Cdl and some left/right steering it pulled itself right up and over.

It like any heavier vehicle pulls into the ruts but let off the pedal and it straightens out blip the throttle and the lugs sling mud. Back in business....

I did do the mud hill before when it was a pit below the hill and same thing it was cacked in the lugs and the hill was loose over hard (double whammy) I throttled it slung lugs clear and slowed the spin to let the tires get a grab the compound seems to be fairly soft it complies and grabs very well.

I have had them in some rocks not coyote or hammers style stuff but good size rocks and snow. I'll be in the trails in the mountains tomorrow in the snow and grab a couple pics.

Road manners are good this isn't the main reason I bought them I wanted good compromise but a tire that was willing to play and be used in less than desire able conditions

This isn't the back hills or some beast of a trail mud I'd mud though when it comes to clay mud and thick pasty goo sand matched with the small hills and ruts its a good local place to throw them in and see how they fair.

Impressed for a intermediate mud/at tire and I say that because its spaced wide lugs but siped semi close center patch.

Snow - impressive
    Mud - impressive
    Loose over hard - impressive
    Some rock and off camber - impressive
    Have not done sand yet or wash beds wlll also have some trail and rock updates later as I have experience and time on them.

Last edited by bullcrew; 03-17-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    "00" disco II -cld- terafirma 3" lift 1" block front dI rear perch (4" lift) - TF 2" longer shocks (bilstein 12" sb on their way)- detroit rear / true trac front - Ashcroft HD axles front and rear - tf stabalizer shock - tactical rovers sliders and front/rear bumpers - QT diffguards guards - Crowne stainless red brake lines 3"+ - flex disc eliminated on rear driveshaft - duratracs 275/65/18 e rated

Sounds about right. Fair review of the tire. Tire pressure really effects the performance on the trail. Find the sweet spot for your rig and you'll be very happy. Try not to go too low in the psi dept for trails that have sharp rocks. We've all had a blown sidewall or two. Meh. Tire warranty covered a new tire for 30 bucks. Win!
    Sasquatch Rods, GoodYear Wrangler MTR 275/65/18, ARB BullBar, EP9.0, Hella 4000's Cornering

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    Sounds about right. Fair review of the tire. Tire pressure really effects the performance on the trail. Find the sweet spot for your rig and you'll be very happy. Try not to go too low in the psi dept for trails that have sharp rocks. We've all had a blown sidewall or two. Meh. Tire warranty covered a new tire for 30 bucks. Win!
    That seems to be the biggest issue which is a pretty big issue, I was told e rated had 3 pky this is not the case it is 2 ply.
    I ripped 2 bfg km mts within 2 days and buying them and less than 20 miles off road. These were the 33/10.50 size they dumped for $67 a tire back a few years ago.
    So not to down the thread but for informative purposes for others as well regarding sidewalls how many duratracs have you seen with ripped sidewalls yours or buddies and pics.
    Also your take on them overall I know avoiding sharp stuff is recommended but what's your personal take on em, I'm in social and we have some sidewall scuffing rocks I hope to not have a issue if so I'll go Mtr Kevlar.
    "00" disco II -cld- terafirma 3" lift 1" block front dI rear perch (4" lift) - TF 2" longer shocks (bilstein 12" sb on their way)- detroit rear / true trac front - Ashcroft HD axles front and rear - tf stabalizer shock - tactical rovers sliders and front/rear bumpers - QT diffguards guards - Crowne stainless red brake lines 3"+ - flex disc eliminated on rear driveshaft - duratracs 275/65/18 e rated

OK been running them for almost 2 months now and been up in the sanbernadinos at wildomar and Holcomb creek run.
    Tires are holding well I aired down to 26psi for Holcomb and will go lower next time. The run was Lots of boulders and rocks sharp and round mixed with mud and wet tires trying to scramb.e on dusty rocks.
    Rear bumper, sliders, diff guards and radius arms all got hammered hard, 3 of 4 wheels suffered rock rash as did sidewalls no gashes and lugs didn't rip off.
    So aside of having road hazard as a contingency plan lol I'm impressed and they held up in the rocks and being drug a cross them.
    The bead has a protective buldge that extends out from the ri. Which saved my butt and the tires a few times.

This is the line Eric and i took off to the left in the first rock section im lined up right behind him

Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew View Post
    OK been running them for almost 2 months now and been up in the sanbernadinos at wildomar and Holcomb creek run.
    Tires are holding well I aired down to 26psi for Holcomb and will go lower next time. The run was Lots of boulders and rocks sharp and round mixed with mud and wet tires trying to scramb.e on dusty rocks.
    Rear bumper, sliders, diff guards and radius arms all got hammered hard, 3 of 4 wheels suffered rock rash as did sidewalls no gashes and lugs didn't rip off.
    So aside of having road hazard as a contingency plan lol I'm impressed and they held up in the rocks and being drug a cross them.
    The bead has a protective buldge that extends out from the ri. Which saved my butt and the tires a few times.
    Take 10psi off that and then you'll get somewhere. I run my 265/75/16 DuraTracs at about 16psi in the rocks and they do great. They're tougher than I am cuz sometimes I cringe when they deform over rocks but I've yet to have any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
    Take 10psi off that and then you'll get somewhere. I run my 265/75/16 DuraTracs at about 16psi in the rocks and they do great. They're tougher than I am cuz sometimes I cringe when they deform over rocks but I've yet to have any issues.
    I've got lockers front and rear its more fun to power through lol.... yeah ill air down next time.