Thread: Serie ii diesel engine

Serie ii diesel engine

Hi the to all

Have a serie ii with diesel 4 cil engine.
    It has a tremendous lack of power and some smoke on it.
    I would like to know how to set timming in this engine.
    Engine starts ook and seems to have a decent compresion presure but no power.

If any other idea of what to chek please let me know.

Regards
    Ray

Ray, if the smoke is black, check for a blockage of the intake air or exhaust.

If the smoke is white, check to make sure there are no small air leaks in the fuel lines supplying the injector pump.

If there's no air leakage, you might be able to advance the timing of the injector pump to eliminate the smoke. Ordinarily you use a special timing tool, but those tools are hard to find. Here's how to do it without the tool:

-Make sure the engine has been warmed up but is NOT RUNNING.

-ON THE INJECTOR PUMP, loosen the metal fuel lines to the fuel injectors.

-Loosen all the injector pump mounting nuts.

-Rotate pump a TINY bit opposite its normal direction of rotation to ADVANCE the pump timing.

-Tighten down the pump and the fuel lines.

-Start engine and check for less smoke.

-Repeat procedure until smoke is minimized.

-Once you are happy with the amount of smoke, test drive the Rover to make sure engine does NOT knock under load (driving up a hill or similar). If it knocks, you've advanced the timing too far and must RETARD the timing until the knock under load disappears.
    Last edited by crusader; 03-16-2012 at 07:07 AM.
    --Mark

"Spark plugs not required"

Dera friend

Thanks a lot for your kind support this is somehow what I was expecting to read for you LR gurus.

Willmtake this steps and will check for improvements.

I would like to ask to how much whouldmthe timing improve power in diesel engines? As this IIa has a tremendows lack of power at this time.

Need to find air filter assembly in order finish this project, any idea where to fin it?

Regards
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Exopar View Post
    I would like to ask to how much whouldmthe timing improve power in diesel engines? As this IIa has a tremendows lack of power at this time.
    I don't know. My pump timing has never retarded enough to decrease power much, but it has been retarded enough to smoke. I read that if timing is too retarded that power loss will be noticible.

Quote Originally Posted by Exopar View Post
    Need to find air filter assembly in order finish this project, any idea where to fin it?
    In Mexico? I don't know. In the United States, you can try to find a used one for little money. Try:

http://siteground237.com/~gunsandr/s...e-Series-Stuff

or search on www.Landroverexchange.com.

OR, you could adapt an air filter assembly from another vehicle. I'm using an air filter assembly from a 1991 Toyota Corolla right now, because the hose to the engine is the same size as my 2.5 liter diesel. It may be different for your 2.25 liter diesel, I don't know.

Good luck!

--Mark
    --Mark

"Spark plugs not required"