Thread: 2011 Range Rover Upgraded Sound System Electrical Problem

2011 Range Rover Upgraded Sound System Electrical Problem

Hi everyone, I purchased a brand new 2011 Range Rover Supercharged (full size) in April 2011. I got the Logic 7 Hi-Fi (1200 watt, 19
    Speaker sound system) option installed with the vehicle. Since day one, I noticed if I turn the sound volume up to a high volume and
    turn multiple accessories on (or even every accessory off and only the heated windshield on), the sound starts clipping out. I then did
    some testing and learned that even when the volume is as low as about 70%-80%, the sound still clips out*. The dealership mechanic did
    some electrical draw tests with the truck started and learned that the sound is clipping out when the voltage drops below 12V; however,
    they are refusing to fix the problem because apparently other vehicles of the same year and sound system do the same thing. At first we
    thought it was a safety feature where the amp was clipping out to prevent damage but when the dealership trickle charged the battery to
    100% charge, the sound did not clip out. If the truck even sat idle overnight after the trickle charge, the sound would clip out again
    the next day. I was told the vehicle is operating as designed and they will not do anything to try to fix it. I'm a person who loves
    sounds systems and I often listen to loud music, I think it's kind of ridiculous that this is considered to be normal and that Land
    Rover will do nothing. My 2009 Range Rover Supercharged had the upgraded sound system as well (different system with less speakers);
    however, the sound did not clip out on that even at 100% volume (I understand that that vehicle is quite different). My sound system
    guy I deal with suggested that the alternator may be too weak and a modified or aftermarket alternator should solve the problem
    (possibly paired with a deep cycle battery); however, then I run into issues with my warranties being void if something electrical
    related goes wrong. Customer relations basically told me that they won't do anything unless multiple complaints for the same problem
    come in. I understand that most people probably wouldn't even realize this problem exists under normal conditions. Does anyone have any
    input or suggestions on what I can do about this or what I can say to Land Rover? Does anyone have the same vehicle and can maybe see
    if they have the same problem?

*I calculated that value by counting how many steering wheel button clicks it takes to get from full volume down to zero volume, then
    started at full volume and click the button down until the clipping stopped and with simple math, calculated that value (I even
    verified the clipping wasn't only going from full volume downward but even from low volume and raising it to the clipping point).

Thanks for your time!

Have you had the battery tested?

Colin

Apparently they tested the battery and said it was ok.

As I understand, the voltage should not be dropping under 12V at any time.. could there be a problem with another component?

The obvious answer would be a weak alternator or a battery on its way out. The non obvious answer could be anything electrical. That's as far as my knowledge goes. Sorry. Someone with much more experience and knowledge will chime in soon, I'm sure.

Colin

What ever or where ever the problem is, it shouldn't be dropping under 12V and causing components (like my stereo) to clip out right? Do you guys think they can or should be able to get away with saying other trucks do it of the same year/model so it is "as designed" and brush me off??

One thing I should mention is, although the dealership keeps saying it's not related to the electrical system as I suggested, I keep getting the blind spot monitoring sensor blocked fault popping up intermittantly and also keep having signal loss intermittantly on my left and right side 360 degree cameras (I used to on the back camera but haven't since they replaced the camera but it has only been a couple weeks). They also replaced my air compressor a couple weeks ago because it had a problem but I haven't had the suspension message pop up since they replaced it. Do you think the blind spot and camera fault codes can be caused by the electrical system?
    Last edited by Jasdip; 03-03-2012 at 08:45 PM.