Thread: disco 2 diesel conversion in CA

disco 2 diesel conversion in CA

Has anyone done a diesel conversion for a d2 in CA. I recently saw a form at DMV that had a check box on it saying. "song exemption due to conversion to diesel" it was a check box. just wondering if its possible to convert a d2.
    NCLR VP HAM KJ7RRC
    93 LWB RRC 3 inch rte lt-230, 35x12.5/15 bfg km2, GBR 4.14 with trutracs front and rear, Rovertracks front Hd axles and cv's, Ashcroft Hd rear axles,
    Rte rear trailing arms,Warn 8k, Custom bumpers front and rear, Flowmaster exhaust ,custom sliders GRB F+R driveshaft, RTE steering links. 12 in Bilstien 7100's

I too am thinking of doing this to one of my LWB's using the 200TDI
    95 4.6 Range Rover LWB 25th anniversary (Rovage)50230 cam/RPI ECU
    04 Range Rover
    87 white RRC
    93 Range Rover LWB Crawler 4.6

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqczzhsWOh8

NCLR #93

if I was to go through all the trouble to get a diesel in there I would probably do a 6.5 GM diesel. or a cummins 4bt. just trying to din out if CA DMV allows it?
    NCLR VP HAM KJ7RRC
    93 LWB RRC 3 inch rte lt-230, 35x12.5/15 bfg km2, GBR 4.14 with trutracs front and rear, Rovertracks front Hd axles and cv's, Ashcroft Hd rear axles,
    Rte rear trailing arms,Warn 8k, Custom bumpers front and rear, Flowmaster exhaust ,custom sliders GRB F+R driveshaft, RTE steering links. 12 in Bilstien 7100's

Quote Originally Posted by ciwhamc View Post
    if I was to go through all the trouble to get a diesel in there I would probably do a 6.5 GM diesel. or a cummins 4bt. just trying to din out if CA DMV allows it?
    Ya know, I thought a lot about which engine to throw in. I didn't want something that was going to be stupid heavy. So most American Diesels were out except for the cummins. The numbers are almost identical as far as output. I don't plan on doing any crazy performance upgrades except the ones that most Landy's already do, so that's fine for me. All I needed was to fab the mounts, get a motor and tranny. Everything else just bolts up and is already there. You would be surprised how much on the diesel is similiar to a V8. Uses the same power steering pump, the same alt, heck, even uses the same fan clutch, and all the gauge sensors are the same, so just unplug and then plug back in.

If I went with the cummins, yeah, I could put an auto behind it and not have to fab any of that up (which is just the pedal, everything else is there), but then I have to source a tcase, probably a Dana300. Then the adapter for that to whatever tranny box. Then change my already upgraded TW driveshafts to fit the Dana300. Oh, and I want to be street legal, so have to figure out the e-brake thing. I just didn't want all that trouble. Plus, the same stores I already shop at for parts, are now carrying A LOT more Tdi stuff.

As far as Cali, the Tdi was never a "legal" engine in the states by EPA. So I don't know if they would allow that. A cummins, maybe. Not sure how that works. Then you have the OBD. The state I have my truck registered in has absolutely no inspections at all for anything. In 2 more years, the trucks turns antique, so it won't matter after that.
    88 RRC
    2002 RR 4.6 HSE

_o_o_o_o_
    |0_______0|
    [(O====O)]
    |//|........|//|
    |\\|-0--- |\\|
    |//|`````|//|

there are adaptors to go from a 6.2/6.5 diesel to the zf auto box. I just don't want it to be slower than it is currently.
    NCLR VP HAM KJ7RRC

Unless you go with the turbo 6.5 it will be.I have both a 6.2 and 6.5 in the hummers and you know how slow they are.But you can pick up a clean used one for cheap i just got one for 800.Also if you have it dialed in at a diesel shop it will help.My 6.2 is tuned and pulls hard next to the 6.5 .
    04 Disco II Trail Rig
    99 Disco II- driveway art
    68 Baja perunner
    (NCLR053)(SCLR903)
    http://www.pacificadventuretours.com

Quote Originally Posted by ciwhamc View Post
    there are adaptors to go from a 6.2/6.5 diesel to the zf auto box. I just don't want it to be slower than it is currently.
    Ha. I almost laughed. The US spec'd ZF trans is not meant for a diesel. I can only imagine how slow, and unhappy that would be behind a diesel. Nevermind the rpm range totally off. A good diesel ZF from across the pond is 2k.

Yes, we drive the 6.2 and 6.5 in the hummers at work. There is a reason they go so slow on the highway. Believe me, they have the pedal mashed down.
    88 RRC
    2002 RR 4.6 HSE

_o_o_o_o_
    |0_______0|
    [(O====O)]
    |//|........|//|
    |\\|-0--- |\\|
    |//|`````|//|