Thread: Rear Hatch/Catflap lift cyclinder?

Rear Hatch/Catflap lift cyclinder?

Has anyone added a gas-type lift cylinder, somthing that would be used for a conventional hatchback/SUV vehicle, to raise and support the catflap? This would be on at '68 Series IIa but I suppose the appliation could be universal.

TIA,
    Bill
    1968 Series IIa "The Beast"

The first question that comes to mind is, "WTF is a catflap?" I have a '61 SII but I don't think I've ever encountered that term before...please enlighten me!

I have however recently been thinking about replacing the hood rod on my RRC with gas lift cylinders like you describe. Don't know how that would work out on the liftgate of the Series truck however (if that's what you're referring to) due to the weight of the thing. It would take some pretty strong cylinders, I'm pretty sure the ones on the upper tailgate of the RRC (as that's what I have laying around) wouldn't be up to the task.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Yep, the upper door on a tailgate setup... catflap (like a doggie door?). I shouldn't think it would be any heavier than some US mini van or SUV rear hatch.

Anybody BTDT?

Thx,
    Bill