Thread: 1991 RRC cuts off randomly

1991 RRC cuts off randomly

I have a 91 RRC that cuts off randomly and frequently. I keep getting an error code 3 on the ecm readout. It still has spark as it dies, but seems to be losing the injector pulse or fuel.

After it cuts off, I need to shut the ignition off (if ignition stays on it wont always restart) and sit there. It usually will restart within 5 min, but sometimes I only make it a block or two before it cuts out again. There's no sputtering, it just dies.

I already put new wires, plugs and relocated the ignition module to the fender.

Also, my brake light's stopped working...

Any idea's?

Sounds like you have a loose connection somewhere. An 03 on the fault code display means power was interrupted. Make sure the ECU connector is in solidly and latched, check the ECU relay as well while you're down there under the seat and check your battery cables at both ends, all connections.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Thanks. I wont have time till this weekend to go over the wiring, but I'll let you know what I find.

my tail lights work now but the rover still cuts off. It cut off yesterday while sitting at an idle. It seems to have spark when it cuts off but isnt getting fuel? I pulled the inspection plate at the fuel pump and it looks fine. I'll take my meter out and test it next but aside from that are there anymore idea's?

Same thing was happening to me, took it to my mechanic. It was a corroded wire connection of some sort in the distributor. Cleaned it up and secured it. runs great

hmm, that's one thing I haven't thought of. I was talkin to a friend and he said the "drivers" in the ecm might be corrupted and I might need a new ecm??