Thread: UHMW gas tank skid?

UHMW gas tank skid?

Hey there, this may be a little on the crazy side of things, but what are your guys' thoughts on a skid plate from UHMW? it is a really dense plastic that slides and protects some would say better than aluminum. i was thinking back to my baja bug days and guys were starting to put a sheet under the engine and transaxle for a skidplate. the upside was they would slide over obstacles easier because the plastic is like delrin in the fact it is self-lubricating. it is lighter, cheaper, quieter (when you do hit it) and absorbs a little more than metal. this is just an idea because i have yet to go devise a plan to mount it, but i thought i would run it by you guys first. you can also get it in different colors! i just did a google search on it and apparently this UHMW stuff has caught on big for the sidexside and UTV crowd. it stands for Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene which just sounds better than aluminum too hahahah. anyways thanks in advance guys. i am seriously considering it for my 98 disco as a gas tank skid unless you can give me some good reasons not to
    98 Green Disco, 125k, OME lift, 265/75/16, steelies, ARB front bumper, 4" extended goodridge ss brakelines, XD roof rack or (SD low profile), engo 10k winch
    soon to come: Sliders, rear bumper with tire carrier, Bilstiens with redone shock mounts, castor corrected swivel balls, HD steering, stabilizer remount, 3 link front.. ugh i need money

Heat near the exhaust might be an issue? There's a lot of weight in the rear of a D1, even more for a D2. What kind of impact strength does this material have when the rear end drops (say 1') onto a small point on a rock? How does it react to this kind of pressure? Bend, shatter, split? How thick would it need to be for sufficient protection?
    NCLR #70 BOD member

"RovrFlo" '01 D2 108,000 miles
    mods vids 2008 & 2009 trips 2010 trips 2011 trips

I have never seen on, but have to think a sharp rock would cut one wide open. Without more information, I would not buy one in place of the 1/4" thick aluminum skid plate I currently have. My main concern is the skid plate is supposed to prevent the tank from caving in on a hard impact, which could damage the fuel pump and that would be something I wouldn't like to have stop me when out wheeling.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

thanks for the impact guys and to be honest i have more research to do on this stuff. it would probably have to be a 1/2" maybe even 3/4" to get total protection. but if you were to drop off onto a pointy rock with an aluminum skidplate, its still going to dent the tank, am i right? i am not a rock crawler by any means but i do use my rig. aluminum is cool and everything but just a sheet of aluminum doesnt make me think of rockproof hahah. i did find these which are a little better priced than some.
    http://www.rockarmor.com/common-part...idplatev2.html
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-D...item46010f42c7 --- ebay for $150. they look different but same company i beleive.

Even they say "for those who want the looks" so they know their 3/16" aluminum wont stand up to a slam on a rock. i know you could get steel but again it weighs more and it can rust. idk just throwing out my ideas and i appreciate the feedback
    98 Green Disco, 125k, OME lift, 265/75/16, steelies, ARB front bumper, 4" extended goodridge ss brakelines, XD roof rack or (SD low profile), engo 10k winch
    soon to come: Sliders, rear bumper with tire carrier, Bilstiens with redone shock mounts, castor corrected swivel balls, HD steering, stabilizer remount, 3 link front.. ugh i need money

I think UHMW is a great idea, It should be able to withstand impacts. Think of a UHMW/Plastic cutting board when you stab it real hard with a knife the knife just stabs in. UHMW shouldn't shatter. A couple things I can think to look out for would be scratches and mounting.
    It it is a softer material than steel or aluminum. If you really scrape it up on rocks and stuff you couldn't really buff the scratches out. As for mounting you just need to make sure your holes aren't close to the edges. It is possible that you could take a hard hit and rip out a mounting point if you use small hardware to close to the edge. But something like M6-M8 bolts with fender washers placed about 2-3 inches from the edge of a 1/4-1/2" thick sheet should be fine.

UHMW is great cause it won't bend like aluminum or steel and it is relatively light weight.

Once a skid plate makes its way up to the top of my priority list I will definitely consider making one out of UHMW. If it costs less and weighs less than aluminum I'll do it.

Aluminum fuel skids weigh about 25lbs, steel 45-50lbs. I just bought a Columbia Overland skid for my D1. I opted for that instead of the Rock Armor because its thicker and it actually draws the fuel tank up about 1-1.5".