Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Building ARMOR for any Vehicle

Well if you know me, and some do, I am a guy who fans those flames. I'll take some pics, get the talk started and then we can talk drop off.
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

Okay. I'm ready for my pictures....
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

Quote Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
    Yep! Another well known Rover fabricator has said the exact same thing. That you can get a rough template but no two Rovers are the same. A certain amount of "tweaking" is to be expected and I would be clear to let your potential customers know this ahead of time. Or build your bumpers/jigs with enough "play" to account for these truck variations. This fabricator I speak of built a few really awesome roof "sliders"/ roof rack. There was a solid piece of metal that ran the length of the rain gutter. One of the main reasons he stopped building them is because he found no two rain gutters had the same lines and geometry that worked on one truck wouldn't necessarily work on another.
    Brad?

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by cnfowler View Post
    Brad?

Colin
    Maaaayyybe.

What is this... a reunion?

METAL fabrication.....
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

ok, photos in the AM, email in the day. I'll take all I can think of and let you look. Remember, my bumper was a prototype and was built via cell phone. so only laugh some.

Quote Originally Posted by astateofmike View Post
    ok, photos in the AM, email in the day. I'll take all I can think of and let you look. Remember, my bumper was a prototype and was built via cell phone. so only laugh some.
    Haha, Mike. I was right there with you buddy. The conversation usually went like this:
    Some Dude: Hey what kind of rear bumper is that?
    Me: (muttering under my breath with my head down)Bottorf
    Some Dude: Who?
    Me: Exactly

Even so, it did take some abuse.

ToyDisco1, I didn't mean to scare you off. Just wanted you to be aware so you could factor in a little wriggle room into your designs. The keys to success are quality, thoughtful and smart design, and pricepoint.
    Good Luck!!

I will admit freely that my Bottorf bumper, at the time, was the only one I could find that had a swing away tire carrier on it. People had built their own, but not one being made. I had contacted 7 builders, with open check book, and said build me one and then others will hear about it. Bottorf was the only one who said let's do this now as opposed to "we have plans." And I know that he sold a few too from that. Sucks the way that turned out.

My rear bumper has been great. I have beat it up and smacked it on things and I like it overall very much. It has not failed me. My changes are coming as a result of trial, use and me fiddling with it.

Like, I had "ears" welded to it to use as recovery points. Yeah, have never used them so I am going to get them off/grind smooth.
    The gas can holder only fits a specific can, and I don't like that can (it was stolen) so I want to change the basket a bit.
    The tire carrier hold down pin no longer threads into the bumper (stripped) so I want it changed.
    I did not want bearings on my swings, but looking at ToyDisco's work, I have thought about changing this because it changes the mount location as well, if my bumper can hold it.

But, that British ingenuity that makes each LR unique.... I have gone to the idea of "mounting slots" instead of "holes" as everything I buy requires a little grind/hammer/force love it seems.

Howard told me about this guy. I don't make junk and my intentions are not to rip people off. I try to make something that will outlast your truck. But the only good way is for me to have it in my hands. But thanks for the heads up.

Mike when ever your ready let me know. Maybe after shaver lake I'm going to have time. My wedding is right around the corner. So after that.

No worried. Wedding? Yeah, I need to have it done BEFORE that, since I am married already and know that "free time" after that day is a whole different word! haha.