Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Building ARMOR for any Vehicle

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fremont
    Posts
    349

    Building ARMOR for any Vehicle

    I'm getting a few people asking about things I have made or can make. Problem is that they live south or east of me. I mean 200 miles +.

    SO my suggestion is if someone has a "donor" truck that they don't need, give it to me and I'll build you what ever you like. I just need a jig to build off of.

    Example;If you have a Classic and need armor for it, I need a classic to build off of. Then I'll build it complete and then remove it and ship it out.

    I need something local. I have all the tools to do it I just need the rig to build it on. It can be anything. And if you donate this truck to me I'll really give you a great deal on my work. I can't say free! But we can work something out. I'm easy. Ideas?
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ripon, Ca. (That's not England chaps)
    Posts
    1,514
    Would my 2000 D2 shell (body on frame) help? I'd think not as you really need to see the axles and shafts - not to mention being able to move it around.

    Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    8,840
    What are the rules? On axles, running? I'll find you something...give me a wait a sec, ideas forming.

    How long do you need it for and how safe a location is it?
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

  4. #4
    How about lending you a truck instead of donating? I've got 2 Disco2 and could part with one for a month or two. And what I'm interested in are the following:

    1. Frame-mounted rock sliders
    2. Driveshaft pinion guards
    3. Fully boxed rear bumper w/swing-away tire carrier and side-wings to protect rear quarter panels.
    4. Front bumper w/skid plate and boxed.

    Also, I'm not interested in tubular designs....
    2000 D2 SD w/BFG MT 255/85/16, 3" lift, ARB front bumper, custom rear bumper & rock sliders, Mantec snorkel, CDL, KMC front & rear diff guard, Columbia Rovers gas tank skid, LR front skid, RoverTracks HD tie rod & drag link, BajaRack roof rack, GBR HD rear driveshaft & 4.14 gears, Trutrac LSD front w/Detroit rear locker, Ashcroft HD axles & CV, Polybush Dynamic bushings, blr HD engine mounts

    2000 D2 stock w/BFG AT-KO 245/75/16, TF front & KMC rear diff guard, RockStar Fab rear door panel

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fremont
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Achers View Post
    Would my 2000 D2 shell (body on frame) help? I'd think not as you really need to see the axles and shafts - not to mention being able to move it around.
    I like the suggestion. But I do need to move it around to get it home to play around with the armor.
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fremont
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by astateofmike View Post
    What are the rules? On axles, running? I'll find you something...give me a wait a sec, ideas forming.

    How long do you need it for and how safe a location is it?
    RULES!

    *NOT running is okay. (no motor, no tranny is okay to)
    *I need a rolling chassis with a steering wheel that works. (please don't give me a truck with 3 wheels and tires)
    *As long as the body is straight enough for armor to transfer over to others without problems. ( I don't want your truck if it's been wrapped around a pole or rolled a few times)
    *I need it for a few weeks to build on. (I can pick up)
    *must be local to the bay area. ( I'm not driving to Sacramento unless you pay for gas both ways)
    *I don't need to keep your car. Just barrow it.
    * I'm sure there will be more rules. (yes that's a rule too)

    The truck will be stored at my trailer storage. Gated and locked, behind a fence with codes. I have no cover from rain and elements as such. I need it for two weeks - a month. I can bring it back if you need it back.
    Last edited by ToyDisco1; 02-08-2012 at 12:26 AM.
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fremont
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by yubert View Post
    How about lending you a truck instead of donating?
    No problem!
    Quote Originally Posted by yubert View Post

    I've got 2 Disco2 and could part with one for a month or two.
    Good time frame for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by yubert View Post
    And what I'm interested in are the following:

    1. Frame-mounted rock sliders (weld on?)
    2. Driveshaft pinion guards (I can do this)
    3. Fully boxed rear bumper w/swing-away tire carrier and side-wings to protect rear quarter panels. Like this? OR

    4. Front bumper w/skid plate and boxed. (not a problem)

    Also, I'm not interested in tubular designs....
    Yeah good thing you said that. I don't have a tube bender that I like yet. I bought one of those harbor freight one's and it sucks. I just like the bumpers I have made so far. Bolt on or weld on?

    So what's up with the Avatar? Nice! Big Pimping!
    Last edited by ToyDisco1; 02-08-2012 at 12:41 AM.
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    8,840
    Hey, just so you know, I have gone this route before. My current bumper was built on another RRC. I still had to mod and adjust it when it got to me. So, as long as you think of it as a rough template....
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lake Villa, IL
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by astateofmike View Post
    Hey, just so you know, I have gone this route before. My current bumper was built on another RRC. I still had to mod and adjust it when it got to me. So, as long as you think of it as a rough template....
    Yep! Another well known Rover fabricator has said the exact same thing. That you can get a rough template but no two Rovers are the same. A certain amount of "tweaking" is to be expected and I would be clear to let your potential customers know this ahead of time. Or build your bumpers/jigs with enough "play" to account for these truck variations. This fabricator I speak of built a few really awesome roof "sliders"/ roof rack. There was a solid piece of metal that ran the length of the rain gutter. One of the main reasons he stopped building them is because he found no two rain gutters had the same lines and geometry that worked on one truck wouldn't necessarily work on another.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fremont
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
    Yep! Another well known Rover fabricator has said the exact same thing. That you can get a rough template but no two Rovers are the same. A certain amount of "tweaking" is to be expected and I would be clear to let your potential customers know this ahead of time. Or build your bumpers/jigs with enough "play" to account for these truck variations. This fabricator I speak of built a few really awesome roof "sliders"/ roof rack. There was a solid piece of metal that ran the length of the rain gutter. One of the main reasons he stopped building them is because he found no two rain gutters had the same lines and geometry that worked on one truck wouldn't necessarily work on another.
    Yeah I figured this much. Damn british! I figure my work would be better done on each vehicle than built and shipped. But I figured I need some cash right now and wanted to start building something to get it going!
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •