Thread: PARROT ASTEROID - Thoughts?

Question PARROT ASTEROID - Thoughts?

Hi all, first let me introduce myself:

<start>
    Dany
    42 YO
    Live near Montreal, Quebec
    Work in IT services delivery since 1999
    Been a techno freak/geek since 1982 (I was SysOp on the first BBS' in the '80's)

I purchased an American model 2011 Disco II SE7 last september

Previous car history is WAY too long to put here, but coherently connected (4x4) cars:

2009 Ford Escape HYBRID
    2005 Subaru Forester Turbo
    2001 Subaru Impreza RS(Ti)
    2000 Subaru Legacy GT
    <end>

I am looking to replace the stock HU in my disco which doesn't currently have the HK system (but all the functionnal 12 speakers and remote headphone at seats 6 and 7)

After visiting crutchfield (US site) I found the PARROT ASTEROID unit, and i'm in love. Only thing is, they don't have the unit on the canadian site and only ship to US addresses...
    So I found another site and would pay around 350$can (including taxes and customs) for the HU, Metra dash kit and wiring harness.

I am planning to keep the stock speakers setup and wiring (!)

Questions:
    1- Any of you have experience installing or owning this unit?
    2- Should I be worried when it comes to install? Most of the pros in my area are not willing to tamper with Land rovers (remember that we've never really had Specialized Land Rover Dealers in Quebec) after bad experiences...

My experience with radio install is VERY limited but I am not scared of wires and connectors...Plus I have the RAVE manual, and the radio comes with a clear pin chart.

Thanks!

Anybody?
    A quick hello?

I'm not a audiophile by any means. But if this is the direction of our head units, I am impressed.
    West Coast purveyor of early Land Rover Parts
    1995 LWB Aspen Silver Edition. AKA DudeMobile...4.6 chipped w cam & headers...4" lift with 255/85R16 tires (33")...ARB lockers front & rear...Etc, etc, etc.

Well... I ordered the unit with harness and faceplate. ETA 13 february. I will let you know how the install goes and maybe input pics as I go along. First item will be trying to pull the stock HU out hahaha.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by yogi View Post

I purchased an American model 2011 Disco II SE7 last september
    Are you sure it's a 2011 Disco II?? The last model year was 2004 for the Disco II in the US.

The Parrot ASTEROID looks interesting and I might get one too. If it comes with a wiring harness for a Disco II then it should make installing the radio easy. They radio's wiring plug should then plug into the LR wiring, no need to re-wiring or worry about pin charts.
    2000 D2 SD w/BFG MT 255/85/16, 3" lift, ARB front bumper, custom rear bumper & rock sliders, Mantec snorkel, CDL, KMC front & rear diff guard, Columbia Rovers gas tank skid, LR front skid, RoverTracks HD tie rod & drag link, BajaRack roof rack, GBR HD rear driveshaft & 4.14 gears, Trutrac LSD front w/Detroit rear locker, Ashcroft HD axles & CV, Polybush Dynamic bushings, blr HD engine mounts

2000 D2 stock w/BFG AT-KO 245/75/16, TF front & KMC rear diff guard, RockStar Fab rear door panel

Quote Originally Posted by yubert View Post
    Are you sure it's a 2011 Disco II??...
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm wondering if the OP meant to type 2001 instead. That would make more sense than typing Disco II instead of Disco 4.

Colin

Ah! Someone is paying attention! Hahaha sorry! iPhone fingers have a mind of their own.
    I did mean to type 2001. Thanks!

My thoughts are mixed.

I've wasted money twice on Parrot hands free devices and HATED them both. This is not to say that their hands free devices compare to their Asteroid (because I don't know). But they do release junk so buyer beware!

Looking at all this things this will do, I'm impressed. The GPS however would be a bad idea. It's way too small and it will be located way too far out of your driving vision (so expect to look back up at the stopped car in front of you)!

They do make a cool video though. PARROT ASTEROID

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

So i received the package by UPS on time. Fast delivery from Sonic Electronix.
    The install was surprisingly easy, because the unit came with its own ISO harness which is really a Volkswagen configuration. A couple of resistance tests and it was plug and play. The amp is connected and ALL speakers functionnal. Absolutely no need to cut/splice any wire!
    The stock HU was a pain to remove as the PO probably had fiddled with it and the removal pins were out of line...
    The new HU is a LOT shorter in lenght so it fits very easily and the hanrnesses have plenty of new found space.
    Plus this gives extra room for cooling/venting the unit.

The PARROT:
    1- Before you do anything after turning it on: Go to settings, audio, volumes, and lower the ring tones and vocal alerts! or it will blow out your ear drums and possibly your speakers
    2- Before pairing and testing : Go to Parrot's web site and download the latest version of the software on the root a clean USB key formatted in FAT32. plug the usb key, turn on the unit and go to settings, advanced, update. confirm the presence of the USB, and let the unit self update. THIS update process resets your unit to factory settings, so don't do anything else before you update!
    3- The software version it came with did not let my iPhone 4 (IOS 5) tether it's 3G network through bluetooth- update fixed that
    4- The stock amplifier configuration was WAY too loud with the Parrot's factory settings. go to audio settings and adjust accordingly. I had to turn off virtual bass booster (or whatever it's called) because my subs were getting killed. Also adjust FADER if necessary as mine was 100% front by default.
    5- HD Radio: do a full scan of stations and don't try to manually browse the dial. it will find all the available stations and you can jump directly to them and make them favorites as you go along.
    6- Surfing the menu is no intuitive and it will require getting used to. Remember that pressing source brings you back to "currently playing" which helps a lot !

Review:
    the Asteroid is VERY pretty and sleek in design. Only half the face detaches and can be stored in a little pouch that they provide which makes it more convenient that the whole face plate. The sound is very good and pairing with my iPhone both in Bluetooth and wired is flawless. Streaming is smooth and I haven't had an issue with sound quality. The network configuration (3G from your iPhone) takes 5 seconds and you get the (new) option to reconnect automatically every time. The GPS works only with an available network but you do get Google Maps if you get stuck somewhere. I would not use it as a GPS to get directions, but it's a nice gadget. The other app I haven't tested yet so I can't say!
    The unit comes with 4 USB inputs in the back, and all the wires you need. BE CAREFUL WHEN PLUGGING THE MICROPHONE CABLE: mine did not go in completely and I had no sound when calling people hahaha I had to pull the unit and replug the wire. (Edit I installed the stereo mic on the dash right in front of the dials (gauges) so it doesn't get sunroof or heater wind blown on it while in a conversation. Plus the cave-like location acts like a sound cone and directs my voice better. The GPS unit is double sided taped in the most left corner of the dash right next to the windshield and the pillar.
    Bluetooth re-pairing and contacts synchro is very quick, voice recognition is english (so my french contacts can't be called by voice prompt ) but works well. The call sound quality is very good and you can change the microphone and sound level to your taste. The unit takes a bit of time to boot (about 10 seconds) after starting the engine but I can live with that. Interestingly, when the iPhone is wire connected and charging, the bluetooth telephony still has priority so you don't have to worry about that.

More reviews to come when I test the apps
    Last edited by yogi; 02-15-2012 at 05:25 AM.

Nice write up.

So the GPS display is remote from the radio? I thought it would be built in which would really not work in my opinion. It is hardwired?

I'll look forward to any future report you have. Thank you!

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor