Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting a Hi Lift to RTE front bumper

Mounting a Hi Lift to RTE front bumper

I just received my Hi Lift today from AB. I was thinking about mounting it to the SD rack, but really don't want the extra weight that high up. Keeping it inside would be nice too, but mounting seems like a pita, and I don't want it buried underneath other gear. I know some people have mounted theirs to the front bumper, like Badfysh, but I never paid attention to how it was mounted.

What are my options? Any pics would help too.

edit: I see Hi-Lift makes adjustable tube mounts, might be an option. Also this will only be mounted for trips, and stored inside the house otherwise.
    Last edited by Disco2Guy; 12-21-2011 at 03:05 PM.
    NCLR #70 BOD member

"RovrFlo" '01 D2 108,000 miles
    mods vids 2008 & 2009 trips 2010 trips 2011 trips

I've got the Hi-Lift tube mounts and have it mounted to the front bumper. They work great and keep it in an easy-to-get-to location. I thought about mounting it to the rack, but it is a PITA to get to in the event you need it.

Sorry for the terrible pictures. I was lazy and didn't want to pull the Disco out of the garage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06097.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	26936

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06098.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	26937

Colin
    Last edited by cnfowler; 12-21-2011 at 03:32 PM.

I did this for sh*ts and gigs on my old rover.
    Worked well.
    Jeremy P.

91' RRC Hunter Edition
    1995 RRC lwb

Quote Originally Posted by jerp209 View Post
    Worked well.
    And I've seen this in person. It's solidly mounted and I think safer from theft because a thief would have to spend time really reaching across a truck they don't own (and past a few NRA stickers, if you know what I mean).

Keeping this inside the rig would be a bad idea due to limited room and you sure wouldn't want that floating past your head in an unplanned maneuver!

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

Worked well.
    I can't imagine how big of a pain that would be to get off when you actually needed to use it. If you're going for looks only, I can see mounting it there. Functionality? Not so much.

Colin

Hey Colin,
    I thought it might be a pain when I was thinking about it, but it really wasn't bad! I used it several times with it mounted as shown and unless access to the sides is totally blocked it was very painless. Just unlocked it and lifted it right off.
    Jeremy P.

91' RRC Hunter Edition
    1995 RRC lwb

Hey Colin,
    I thought it might be a pain when I was thinking about it, but it really wasn't bad! I used it several times with it mounted as shown and unless access to the sides is totally blocked it was very painless. Just unlocked it and lifted it right off.
    Good to know. You must be taller than 5' 6". I'd be standing on the hood trying to get it off! LOL. Glad it works out for ya.

Colin

5'10 on a good day. Lol. Just lifted straight up and over. Never a worry.
    Jeremy P.

91' RRC Hunter Edition
    1995 RRC lwb

Ha, I'm 6'4" so it wouldn't be too difficult to get it off the SD rack, even with 3" of lift on 33" tires. I might go with the Hi Lift mounts, even though they look a little bulky. I've seen mention of Coleman Racing clamps but can't find anything like this on their site.
    NCLR #70 BOD member

"RovrFlo" '01 D2 108,000 miles
    mods vids 2008 & 2009 trips 2010 trips 2011 trips

I admit, mine is secured in the truck in the cargo area with the foot mount off on a load track system. I have found that (as I don't go out alone) the only time I would need the jack, and couldn't get to it would be if I was in the mud or something. Then, I throw the strap back to someone and get drug out. Otherwise, I usually can get to it. But I also have a bottle jack and once when in the rocks, I put the bottle jack under the stuck axle and lifted it up enough to get rocks under....so that was light and easy.

Another idea Brenton, since you dont have passengers much, would be to secure it to the bulkhead in front of the rear seats. Couple of mounts and it would be all in. I used to have it on the bull bar (always worried I would see it thru the window) and on the roof rack, but once I started traveling far I worried about people seeing it on there and getting interested rather than a lifted PITA british 4x4 with dark windows.
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB