Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ladder for RRC?

Ladder for RRC?

Is there a rear access ladder for the classic? I have been searching everywhere for a ladder and have found this question a bunch, but real options.

I searched for a ladder for my '95 LWB for well over a year. I emailed companies that made ladders for other models and asked if they had ever seen one or knew of how to make one. I always got a 'no'. I ended up having one made by a local fabricator. It cost me $175, but was well worth it. I had a roof rack and a custom rear bumper and it mounted to both. Without the rack and bumper, I have no idea how one could be made up to mount to the vehicle itself and still be able to open the liftgate and tailgate.

If you watch the clips on YouTube of the 1987 Camel Trophy Madagascar, you'll see they have a half ladder that mounts to the roof rack. I have watched that clip and paused it a hundred times trying to figure out how the bottom of the ladder mounts to the liftgate. Unless the ladder was telescoping, mounting it to the roof rack and liftgate would make the liftgate impossible to open. Unfortunately, the quality of the video is so poor I can't see enough detail to see how it was accomplished.

Here's a link to the video. Go to 2:05 of the video to see a closeup of the ladder. The quality is low and the shot of the ladder is quick. This is the best I've done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC7hm2KvnwQ

Colin
    Last edited by cnfowler; 12-18-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Yeah I have the rte front and rear bumpers with a Baja expedition rack. I was even trying to find a half one that would swing up with rear upper part of the gate. Doesn't have to be a full length ladder.

It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2a0...eature=related

found some good close ups in this video in better quality.

Still don't comprehend how the hinges work! Anyone?

Hinges? I think the upper ladder has two stanchions of mounts bolted to the lower frame of the window and then maybe looped over the rack or just two horizontal bolts on tabs off the rack. I would have to see if the arc of the swing on the tailgate diminishes as it travels, but I bet some slots on the rack tabs would allow for play. These were only designed probably to last the race, hence no commercial ones. Time for some metal fun.!

I just found out that Voyager Racks makes a ladder the classic. It's a half rack and looks nice. I believe they quoted me $175 shipped and powder coated.

Quote Originally Posted by livetoride View Post
    I just found out that Voyager Racks makes a ladder the classic. It's a half rack and looks nice. I believe they quoted me $175 shipped and powder coated.

Ask them for a picture and how it mounts, as the p38 and DII ladder / mounting method would not be wise of the classic.

Quote Originally Posted by burn_e View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2a0...eature=related

found some good close ups in this video in better quality.

Still don't comprehend how the hinges work! Anyone?
    That is, by far, the best shots of the ladder I've seen. Nice find!!! I noticed there were several different ladders used.

Mike hit the nail on the head, IMO, as far as the ladders just having to last the duration of the race. And if the way they mounted them did damage, who really cared. The Rovers were beat on anyways.

Colin
    Last edited by cnfowler; 12-19-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by astateofmike View Post
    During my search for a ladder I came across that website. I emailed the gentlemen for more info on the ladder. I never got a response. Unfortunately the photo isn't great for figuring out how the ladder mounts, etc.

Colin