Thread: LR2 feedback/reliability

LR2 feedback/reliability

So, I have to ask you LR2 owners about reliability. I have a 2001 P38 Range Rover, so I know all about 'reliability'. Though, in all honesty, my rangie has been a great truck and hasn't given me much trouble at all in the last two years that I have owned it. I am asking this b/c this forum doesn't seem to have a lot of activity and this LR2 would actually be for my father. I don't want his car to be at the dealer all the time as he is not one to fix it. I live over an hour from him and have three kids that keep me too busy to be fixing his car. I do all to work on my rangie as would be too expensive to take it anywhere.

Any real-world feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.
    2001 Range Rover 4.6 SE - SD rack, sliders, ladder, aluminum radiator, steering guard, axle guard, rear diff guard, Warn xd9000ce winch, ARB 50qt... no chrome

Test drive

We went to Cole European in Walnut Creek, Ca and test drove an LR2. It was actually their loaner vehicle since they didn't have any used or new LR2s on the lot. I was pleasantly surprised. I agree with Brian's assessment in that the brakes are quite touchy at first, but it had decent pick-up and a nice fit and feel. The steering is tight and overall ride quality good, more on the stiffer side. I think they hit the mark with this smaller SUV. The gas mileage could be better with only 22-23 on the highway, but not terrible. Wish they had the diesel stateside. The rear seats don't have alot of room for adults when the seats are all the way back. Rear cargo room is obviously much smaller than an LR3, but comparable to other compact SUVs in the market (Q5, RDX, X3, etc). My father won't be taking it for any serious offroading but he may join me on a mild NCLR club run. I also like the updated grill on the 2011 models, though we were shooting for a $25k price range for a low mileage used car and the 2011s are at $30k or above. The new grill puts it in alignment with the headlights and I think overall it looks better with a more classic look. It may be worthwhile to pay more for the updated look.

I was amazed by the Evoque with a rating of 22 city and 28 highway. It is very nice interior and the looks have grown on me. Definitely looks better in person. A lot of controversy with it, but I understand the market they are trying to reach and I am sure they will sell a ton of them. I just hope they don't over-design the new Defender.
    2001 Range Rover 4.6 SE - SD rack, sliders, ladder, aluminum radiator, steering guard, axle guard, rear diff guard, Warn xd9000ce winch, ARB 50qt... no chrome

Land Rover

I always hear that Land Rover is really a reliable car. Land Rover has a fairly steady and landed customer base. A “leisure” model, or baby Land Rover, is reported to be in the works. The business loved great success so far with the Evoque crossover and wishes to get more people into a Land Rover. With great interest rates on car loans available, you will get the ideal car for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny H View Post
    I always hear that Land Rover is really a reliable car. Land Rover has a fairly steady and landed customer base. A “leisure” model, or baby Land Rover, is reported to be in the works. The business loved great success so far with the Evoque crossover and wishes to get more people into a Land Rover. With great interest rates on car loans available, you will get the ideal car for you.

Spam anyone????

First time posting but; I've had my '08 LR2 for about a year and a half and it's been great. The sunroof recall was done; I've changed the front bevel gear & rear diff fluid every 6 months & change the oil every 5K miles with synthetic . The battery did die last fall, original one, and that's about it. I currently have 75K on the clock. It's completely stock, so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by suki101 View Post
    First time posting but; I've had my '08 LR2 for about a year and a half and it's been great. The sunroof recall was done; I've changed the front bevel gear & rear diff fluid every 6 months & change the oil every 5K miles with synthetic . The battery did die last fall, original one, and that's about it. I currently have 75K on the clock. It's completely stock, so far so good.
    Thanks for the feedback. I have heard great things about the LR2s and especially the 2008 model year.

My father is finally ready to make a purchase in the next month or so and will most likely be deciding b/n the LR2 and a Suburu Outback. The Subi is a dime a dozen, but they are decent vehicles with a good amount of space and strong track-record. My mother is shying away from the LR2 just based on LRs history and that I am not immediately available to help my father if something happens. My dad really liked the way the LR2 drove, but the Suburu gets better gas mileage and has more cargo space.

We'll have to see what he decides on...

I am looking forward to getting my wife an LR3 later this year