Thread: Hard Steer

Hard Steer

Haven't fired up the Rover for a while so took it out for drive(street no off road).Ran great and everything seemed fine until I went to back in to a parking space and the front wheels were almost impossible to turn.Same thing when pulling forward into space( feels bound up almost like when front locker is on or no power steering?).Checked ARB switches(not engaged).Went in and had a beverage and when I came out to leave the turning seemed easier and when normal driving speeds feels and turns fine This happened one other time when backing in to my driveway(bound up or feels like it needs to unwind-next time out it is fine?).Going to shift it in and out of CDL and turn on air compressor/lockers on and off today(didn't want to do any of that while I was out in case on verge of something wacko).Was reading previous thread about(ARB solenoid or locker not dis-engaging) but if that were my case wouldn't it feel that way all the time(not intermittent or in slow speed speed hard turn scenario's?)
    97 D1 SE7 3"RTE lift 285/75/16 Cooper STT"s Rockstar bumps and sliders SD rack Hella's Ramsey winch RTE HD steering ARB locker(s) GBR rear axles RT HD front axles/cvs(and)RT rear links and more and more.......

"Now that's a tasty burger!" Samuel Jackson in PulpFiction

If your truck is locking into FWD, turning on a hard surface will make the tires squeal and you'll hear the drive line suffering. It's very possible to have it locked-in after shifting it out of FWD (as the pin doesn't release until the pressure on it is released - which is why you drive straight when taking it out of FWD). And I've never heard of the pin dropping into FWD randomly but that's just me.

Regardless of being locked-in or not, if you're not moving and having trouble turning the wheel then your steering pump is not doing it's job. That could be a loose fan belt, oil on the belt, or low steering fluid.

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

Wow,do I feel like an idiot! Went out and popped the hood,check the PS fluid and (almost empty). I thought no way. Don't know here (fluid) went? Not on my driveway(I know what that red mess looks like!) filled it back up easy turning now luckily haven't driven much just hope I didn't damage PS pump I'll keep an eye on that fluid level thanks for the suggestion
    97 D1 SE7 3"RTE lift 285/75/16 Cooper STT"s Rockstar bumps and sliders SD rack Hella's Ramsey winch RTE HD steering ARB locker(s) GBR rear axles RT HD front axles/cvs(and)RT rear links and more and more.......

HAHAHAHA!!
    At least it was a cheap and easy fix.

So now that you know you have a leak and you burned what little ATF in the system, better fix the leak and flush the system to get some good frsh fluid in there along with the Lucas.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Yeah,going to do that(PS service). Something,else I forgot about(unrelated). Last time out wheeling I knocked the harmonic balance weight or wheel off(can't believe it lasted this long) Anyway,what redeeming value in re-installing?