Thread: Badland Winches from HF? Worth the cost to have..just in case?

Badland Winches from HF? Worth the cost to have..just in case?

Received an email from Harbor Freight announcing their new line of Badland winches.

Hi Everyone,

I'm so excited to tell you about our new Badland Winches! We've received great feedback from customer letters, blogs and from reviews in several magazines. Off-Road Magazine just called our winches, "by far the best deal in winching!" Our Badland Winches have great features such as a Low Amp Draw Neutron Motor, High Alloy Steel Internal Gear Train and Aircraft-grade Cables. Badland Winches are Professional Quality at our low prices. Here is the link to Off-Road Magazine's article which says our winch is in a league of its own. Off-Road Magazine Article
    See our full line of winches and watch a couple of customer submitted videos of these winches in action, by clicking here: http://www.harborfreight.com/badland-winches.html
    Best regards,
    Eric
    President

The 12K winch with a 6hp motor is on sale right now for $399. Not a bad price. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Chris D.
    Chris D.
    "Alabama Red" MUDY_OVL
    '95 DI

Meh. For another $200.00 you can get a "name brand" and not worry about it working or not.
    Sasquatch Rods, GoodYear Wrangler MTR 275/65/18, ARB BullBar, EP9.0, Hella 4000's Cornering

So ORM says HF winches are "in a league of their own"... I wonder if that league is the farm league or the majors. Or perhaps they're trying to play hockey on a baseball field.

I kid, I kid... But sasquatch is right - the savings really aren't that significant over one of the more respected brands.
    -Ben
    1993 LWB: 2wd at the moment, GDE bumper, Camel Trophy pizza cutters, stupid bright big lights, working air suspension, DynoMax exhaust, better music
    in the box to be installed - working a/c, lots of bushings, Ford Motorsports injectors, a new VC

Parts Wanted: Rear lamp guards, Columbia Overland rear bumper

Having spent my previous life in motor racing, I learned to distrust, many of, the pr blurbs. The quote from Off-Road Mag', may simply refer to the price & not the strength & capability. Trivia here......At the first US Grand Prix at Long Beach one of the top teams kept twisting halfshafts. A local manufacturing shop owner, with a paddock pass, was discussing the issue with the team owner. Rather than air freight spares in from the UK, he said that he could make them up overnight. Back at the shop (after testing them) proclaimed them to be junk. The team owner said they were built to UK aero specs, & a good price. The shop owner then said that he might use them on a kid's pedal car, but that's it!!........Now, you know why the price was so good.

Steve
    "I am never more serious than when I am joking."

UK Aero specs, eh? So exactly how many halfshafts does the average british airplane use?

"well sir, she's a wonderful plane. She'll cruise to the continent just fine as long as you keep those CV joints well lubed. But most importantly, she's got a genuine wilton wool carpet"
    -Ben
    1993 LWB: 2wd at the moment, GDE bumper, Camel Trophy pizza cutters, stupid bright big lights, working air suspension, DynoMax exhaust, better music
    in the box to be installed - working a/c, lots of bushings, Ford Motorsports injectors, a new VC

awesome!
    Sasquatch Rods, GoodYear Wrangler MTR 275/65/18, ARB BullBar, EP9.0, Hella 4000's Cornering

I worked for a couple of Brit's, & most all of the race spares we peddled, came from the UK. Some bits were quite well made. You can't argue with a 7.250" dia., 3 plate clutch, capable of handling 1000 bhp. However, I was always reminded of the reasons that the UK was not a player in the "Space Race". We had not begun to discuss trying to "find" the moon using Lucas Computers!!

True, "...how many halfshafts does the average british airplane use?" However, the point it is, their Rockwell scale uses terms like 2H, H, HB, etc.
    "I am never more serious than when I am joking."

Thanks for all the feedback and entertaining UK Aero Spec banter.
    Chris D.
    "Alabama Red" MUDY_OVL
    '95 DI

Just one of the many services we offer.
    -Ben

Model: Badlands 12,000-pound winch
    Motor: 6hp series-wound motor (12VDC)
    Duty cycle rating: 5 percent (45 sec @ max-rated load)
    Geartrain/Ratio: Three-stage planetary/265:1

Couldn't get the chart to look like I wanted, so the first number is the line pull in lbs, second is line speed (fpm), and third is amp draw.

0 16.4 72
    2,000 14 115
    4,000 9.9 159
    6,000 9.1 198
    8,000 7.6 242
    10,000 6.1 281
    12,000 5.0 320

Quote from Off-Road Magazine:

"We haven’t put too many pulls on ours yet, but we’ve definitely gotten it into action a few times, with positive results. The line speed isn’t slow, and the quality and appearance of the winch seems top notch. We’ve tried some “lesser expensive” winches before, and we can tell you firsthand that this winch is in a league of its own. It competes with the high-end winches in performance, and the economically-priced winches in cost."

Colin
    Last edited by cnfowler; 10-31-2011 at 08:56 AM.