Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land Rover Defender 90 (best way to obtain one)

Land Rover Defender 90 (best way to obtain one)

Hello,

Im really new to this forum, I had a Jeep for three years and spent too much money on it then ended up selling it = ( Ive missed my Jeep ever since, but ive thought about getting into the Land rover Defender 90 ever since I saw someone else driving around with it. I live in the US, so I believe the only way I can obtain one is one that are currently in the states.

I was just wondering for those of you who replace/repair parts, do you use land rover parts? or get compatible ones off other vehicles. Basically in the end Id love to have the Land rover body, as for udner the hood just off-road capable (not heavy duty, more medium trails). Im wondering if its possible to buy just the body and have all the stuff under the hood be other trucks or Jeeps. Anyone know the price cost id be looking at? Or the cost effectiveness? Im trying to also get other vehicle parts because im sure itll be alot more spendy to replace with Land rover parts if something breaks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

$15,000 to $40,000 for a Defender 90, then however much you want to spend on doing what you want. You can put whatever you want in it or under it, as long as you have the skill and the money, or just a ton of money
    "May God have mercy on my enemies because I won't" General George S. Patton

1983 Defender 110 Wagon

Thanks for the info = ) Also I know this is Land Rover Forum, but can you list the advantages of getting a Jeep Wrangler over a Land Rover Defender? I know that it would be cheaper and parts more readily available, but what about the capabilities?

Also, is a D90 more noisier inside than a Jeep Wrangler?

If you care about noise levels at all, neither of these is the right vehicle for you.

That said, the Wrangler is a lot cheaper to purchase and maintain and modify... But as a former owner of four Jeeps ranging from 1970-1998 I can tell you that the accessory and interior durability has never been to the levels found in either of my Rovers (RRC and Disco 1)
    -Ben
    1993 LWB: 2wd at the moment, GDE bumper, Camel Trophy pizza cutters, stupid bright big lights, working air suspension, DynoMax exhaust, better music
    in the box to be installed - working a/c, lots of bushings, Ford Motorsports injectors, a new VC

Parts Wanted: Rear lamp guards, Columbia Overland rear bumper

You seem to be concerned with the cost. If that's true, don't buy an expensive defender and chop it up to put less expensive parts under/in it. You'll spend way more time and money trying to re-engineer the vehicle to make it just as capable as it was before you took it apart. Think about it, auto companies pay engineers large amounts of money to get things like suspension, steering, drive train just right. If you want an inexpensive rig with 2 doors and no top, buy another jeep
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

Yeah, unless you have a VERY deep wallet, a D90 (or any other Land Rover product) is not for you.

Colin

I was comparing a Jeep to a defender so that I could get an idea of noise level. As for putting "less expensive" parts underneath it, I dont understand if thats true. Id be getting items for off road capabilities which are usually more expensive than stock items. However I know the D90 is no longer imported to the US so I was wondering what would the cost to replace a transmission be? (in case something like that ever failed).

In the end I basically want what the original D90 looks like, minus possibly adding in some lockers and little things like a CB. Just wanted to know the pros and cons of having that over a Jeep.

I'm confused - in your OP you mentioned wanting jeep stuff under the hood? That sounds like more than just little things.

The D90 is one of the most capable 4x4s ever to come out of a major manufacturer. But it would lose that capability if you started adding the wrong stuff. As far as costs, your transmission is a standard part (ZF? someone confirm) and the engine is just a highly modified Buick V8.

Yes, care and feeding is gonna be more expensive. Comparing a 1995 D90 to a 1995 Jeep is gonna be completely impossible - the Jeep in perfect condition is less than 1/4 the cost of an okay D90, so of course the Defender will cost you more. And remember that in California you will not be able to replace the engine or any of the smog equipment with anything else anyway.

To put it simply: If you want the running costs of a Jeep, get a Jeep. If you want a D90, then get a D90. I had to make the same decision within the Green Oval, and that's why I'm shopping for a Disco instead of a D90 for my second Rover - I just can't justify the cost, no matter how much cooler it may be.
    -Ben
    1993 LWB: 2wd at the moment, GDE bumper, Camel Trophy pizza cutters, stupid bright big lights, working air suspension, DynoMax exhaust, better music
    in the box to be installed - working a/c, lots of bushings, Ford Motorsports injectors, a new VC

Parts Wanted: Rear lamp guards, Columbia Overland rear bumper

In my opinion, the D90 is a better looking and better performing rig than the cj/tj line. But, it's also more expensive and foreign line. You can find repair or modification parts, but they are less common and therefore come at a premium. If you get a D90 you will have a unique rig that will get noticed. It is a utility minded vehicle so it's loud, not well insulated and will likely have a leak when it rains. Depending on what type of off-roading you will be doing a stock D90, if proper maintenance is done, will provide you will years of semi-trouble free pleasure. Ben had it right about the CA emissions, you wont be cheaply swapping motors in a defender, but it can be done. If you want a Land Rover, I think that's great and welcome to the fold. If you want to get one and chop it up to put domestic parts in it for whatever reason, go ahead. You can spend less money building and owning a jeep but it will never give you want a Land Rover will. Go test drive one you'll see. Hope that's clear as mud.
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

Awesome that answers alot Sactodisco. In my OP I did mention about wanting to put in aftermarket parts in the Defender, but thinking again there isnt much I think I would add (are lifts common in these vehicles, and what size tires do D90s run?

Also, with the limited amount of D90's out there im looking at 90k average mileage. How long should I expect the engines to last? The reason I thought about using a Defender body with Jeep parts, or swapping out parts is that I didnt want to be stuck with an old vehicle which would break down at any moment (old transmission, engine, wiring). I also strangely enough found some discussions on Jeepforum talking about Wranglers vs Defenders, and im reading alot about maintenance issus on the defender, are these true?

I know that coming by new Defender 90's is impossible here, but how do you all deal with getting your defender to last another 100k?

Im sorry if I ask alot of questions, but theres not too many articles out there to read up on this. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Chopayne; 10-24-2011 at 09:14 PM.