Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RRC Rear Storage Compartments/Drawer System

RRC Rear Storage Compartments/Drawer System

I've been meaning to take some pics and post them for a while now, and as I've had a few requests to do so I figured it was time to get off my butt and make it happen, so here it is.

I built this with the help of a friend who owns a cabinet shop. He and I cut the side pieces, his guys built the drawers to my specs and I did the rest. I wanted it modular, so I can remove one side and leave the other in place if needed. It's built almost entirely of pre-finished 1/2" 7-ply cabinet plywood and weighs probably around 50-60 pounds total. There are crossbars located directly above the seatbelt mounts so that it can be bolted down.

The left-side drawer which contains most of my camping/cooking gear is almost full-length at just under 5 feet long while the right-side drawer which is tool and parts storage is 3 feet long. We made the drawer slides out of hardwood rather than using pre-made metal slides, which are ridiculously expensive in those lengths. There's a storage compartment ahead of the right-side drawer which is accessible from the top by peeling back the Velcro'd carpet and lifting up on the floor section, but I plan to cut an access hole in the side as that's a bit of a PITA when the truck is fully loaded. The top is cut into 4 sections which are all removable independent of each other and I can access anything stored underneath (in theory, anyway!) from inside the truck if I'm inside and it's raining, or I'm being attacked by bears or something...

I also made cutouts on the bottom of the side supports so that I can store long items (like the rear axles shown) in the rear seat footwells, though I think I can cut some of the wood out a bit more in that area for easier access without compromising strength.

The sleeping platform is just about 57 inches long, enough for my 36"-wide Costco folding mattress pad or an airbed which also just fits width-wise between the right-side door and my fridge when I have it in place. Seeing as how I'm only 5'4" the length works out just right for me to be able to stretch out comfortably when I put the passenger seat forward a bit.

I finished it in time for the Death Vally trip over Easter but didn't have the carpet in at that point. I had originally planned on carpet but the pre-finished cabinet plywood looked so nice that I changed my mind, and then found that everything had a tendency to slide around on the nice, slick finish. So, the carpet went in a couple months later.

I still have a little fine-tuning to do, but I didn't expect it to be perfect right off the bat and figured I'd come up with some new ideas and changes as I used it. I still want to find something to trim the edges of the carpet with, perhaps a plastic molding of some sort that can slip over the edge of the carpet and plywood but is easily removable...

I didn't take any pics of the fridge and bed when set up inside, but if enough people want to see that as well I suppose I could do so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SANY0053.JPG   SANY0054.JPG   SANY0055.JPG   SANY0056.JPG   SANY0057.JPG  

SANY0058.JPG   SANY0059.JPG   SANY0060.JPG   SANY0061.JPG   SANY0062.JPG  

Last edited by TigerDan; 10-20-2011 at 12:05 PM.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Dan looks great, I want to do something similar in the back of my disco but only the storage compartment. Unfournately my wood working skills are not the best.

Thanks Brandon. You gonna make it to Shaver this year? I plan to be there with this rig, sleeping in it again like I did last year. That was what really pushed me to go ahead and build this, it just wasn't too practical the way it was. I had to unload the truck and pile everything and then cover it all with a tarp so I'd have room inside.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

How about a few pictures of the fridge and bed installed?

LOL! I just want you to work for no apparent reason!!

No pics needed Dan! Looks great. Pretty snazzy for a Pirate?? Me thinks yer goin squid on me!
    Sasquatch Rods, GoodYear Wrangler MTR 275/65/18, ARB BullBar, EP9.0, Hella 4000's Cornering

Looks good Dan!

any plans for few tie down D rings ?

And did someone say Shaver lake! I want to go this year!
    1992 RRC
    1994 Toyota Pickup

We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by ARMEDforBATTLE View Post
    Looks good Dan!

any plans for few tie down D rings ?

And did someone say Shaver lake! I want to go this year!
    I will be back at SHaver this year, I missed it last year, but it wont happen twice. Elliot rally the So CAL guys and lets make an apperance.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    How about a few pictures of the fridge and bed installed?

LOL! I just want you to work for no apparent reason!!
    ...And this would be a perfect opportunity to use those flipoff smileys they have over on Dweb and Pirate... Oh wait, this should cover it:

No tiedowns, E. I like my crap bouncing all over the inside of the truck when I'm wheeling, keeps me alert dodging flying tools and stuff! Actually, tiedowns are in the plan but I haven't decided just what type and where to put them yet. I do have a method of tying down the fridge, it's sort of ghetto but it works.
    Last edited by TigerDan; 10-21-2011 at 01:37 PM.
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

Quote Originally Posted by TigerDan View Post

No tiedowns, El. I like my crap bouncing all over the inside of the truck when I'm wheeling, keeps me alert dodging flying tools and stuff! Actually, tiedowns are in the plan but I haven't decided just what type and where to put them yet. I do have a method of tying down the fridge, it's sort of ghetto but it works.
    That's what I figured. Dodge rocks and bottle jacks. Sounds like your style.

Scope this place out... Where a bought a bunch of the crap for the trailer

http://www.easternmarine.com/Surface...4-pack-02005-/
    1992 RRC
    1994 Toyota Pickup

We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.

Looks great Dan! I missed that at the Annual Event this year, so you'll have to show me next time we meet. I want to get some of these for my cargo area: http://www.discountramps.com/tie_down_rails.htm

As for Shaver Lake... I've started to think about trip planning again, and will post up a Gauging Interest thread, here and on NCLR's site, sometime in the next week or so. I hope E, Max, Brandon and some of the other SoCal guys can make the 2012 trip.
    NCLR #70 BOD member

"RovrFlo" '01 D2 108,000 miles
    mods vids 2008 & 2009 trips 2010 trips 2011 trips

Nice Dan!!
    All sold a while ago

1995 RRC LWB - LT230, $G Front Bumper

1960 109" 5 Door Station Wagon w/Deluxe Rolled Bonnet with Spare Recess. Frame off restoration. PO setup 289 Mustang with D60 rear end with chromolly inners. Recently moved to Sacramento awaiting a place to finish the restoration.