Thread: Proper winch storage?

Proper winch storage?

How do you wind the winch cable up so tight and neat like the way it comes from the manufacturer? I used my winch once last spring and the cable went on all sloppy. This past week when I used it again, when I released it it was kinked/ pinched and lots of crazy bends. Is there a proper way to get it back on neatly so as to save the dexterity of the cable? Can it be done in use or later after the trail?

DarrinK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crazy.jpg   Neat.jpg  

Accept the fact that you will never get it to look quite as well as when you first opened the box. It's normal for the cable to unwind and look sloppy after use. When the trip is over, be sure to pay-out most of the cable (i like to leave 5-6 wraps of the 1st layer) and inspect the cable for kinks or damage. Hook up to a pole, tree, rock..whatever, with a tree saver and control the cable as you winch back in. I use a slightly uphill grade, leave the vehicle in Neutral and use only the winch to pull the vehicle towards the strap. Guide the cable with your hand (use good gloves) as it re-spools from left to right or right to left. Keep the wraps as close as you can and try not to allow the cable to overlap itself once you change directions along the drum. Keep yourself and your hands a safe distance away from the fairlead. I usually stand 3-4 feet away when I guide the rope back in. Have a helper use the controller so you can stay focused on safety.
    Sasquatch Rods, GoodYear Wrangler MTR 275/65/18, ARB BullBar, EP9.0, Hella 4000's Cornering

As already mentioned, you always spool the cable out and rewind it when coming of a run.
    If you have kinked your cable already, it is now junk and will fail within a couple uses.
    Need to learn how to use a winch before using it, will save you a lot of money.
    You may want to switch to a synthetic winch rope, one that you can't kink and is a little more fore giving.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    Have a helper use the controller so you can stay focused on safety.
    For me, focusing on safety includes not letting someone else run the controls when I'm anywhere near the business end of a winch.

Here's a worthwhile book for the novice
    http://www.amazon.com/Land-Rover-Win.../dp/1855202980
    You can often find it cheaper.
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    For me, focusing on safety includes not letting someone else run the controls when I'm anywhere near the business end of a winch.
    +1. Same principle as running a log splitter.
    '94 Disco - Lots of mods and dents, scratches, and scars.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Mike View Post
    As already mentioned, you always spool the cable out and rewind it when coming of a run.
    If you have kinked your cable already, it is now junk and will fail within a couple uses.
    Need to learn how to use a winch before using it, will save you a lot of money.
    You may want to switch to a synthetic winch rope, one that you can't kink and is a little more fore giving.
    Practice makes perfect...I guess. It may be an expensive learning experience if my cable is damaged. But, my rig is Very Capable, so I don't get to use my winch that often. What am I to do? LOL

DarrinK

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinK View Post
    What am I to do?
    As stated, spool it in under a light load (up a slight incline or with the transmission brake set slightly), keeping each wrap snug against the previous wrap.
    At minimum pull it all off the drum and respool it once a year if you haven't used it.
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

Thanks

DarrinK