Thread: DII rear bumper with integrated tire carrier, hitch and removable jerry can mount.

DII rear bumper with integrated tire carrier, hitch and removable jerry can mount.

This is a bumper we built for a customer that requested an integrated tire carrier, capable rear hitch and removable jerry can mount.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00450.jpg   DSC00455.jpg   DSC00456.jpg   DSC00458.jpg   DSC00460.jpg  

DSC00464.jpg   DSC00473.jpg   DSC00479.jpg   DSC00480.jpg   DSC00485.jpg  

Not really digging that. Most of it looks great, but then other parts just don't look as if they had much effort put into them.

Red face

Hey, I like it Denny. I will see you at URE. My BottorF'ed rear bumper did not like my weight distributing hitch this past weekend traveling to MAR. The receiver mount in the bumper is a little indented now and the skid plate is not quite straight across. The piece of flat steel has a slight U shape to it from the downward pressure of the wt dist. hitch mount on the receiver that rest on the skid plate. I think I will be having the integrated rear skid plate cut from the steel plate that comes off the center of the rear bumper and have the bumper squared up, and go back to my factory hitch/mount. The rear skid plate you have that mounts to the factory hitch mount frame, does it bolt on or weld on? I think I will go with that for a rear skid plate. Shoot me a PM or email me what that will cost me, and if you can get me one delivered to URE. I will take a few pics of my bumper to send you for you opinion on what you see, and what you think I should do with it.

I still want to get some sliders, but want them to be customized to include my SS factory nerfs. Yea, I know it is not normal, but if you can put two hi-lift jack points in the sliders, can't you make a mount point for the L bracket mounts to attach so I can keep my shiny SS nerfs? OK, I am not a hard core off-roader by any means, I want to keep a little of that bling.
    Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 10-07-2011 at 12:18 AM.
    Tony

Black '01 D2 148K AMSOIL Synthetics
    HG Jul-11, ABS Opt B fix, Motorad 180 t-stat, Magnecor 8mm wires, NGK plugs, TW front DS, QT diff guards, TF steering damper, OME 777/781 MD springs w/rear D1 spring seats, TF+2 shocks, SS ext brake hoses, HLC Fab Sliders w/nerfs, BottorF'ed modified rear bumper, SD Roof Rack w/4 Hellas, LR fuel tank skid, Yokohama Geolander AT-S LT245/75/16E, LR stainless A-bar w/IPF lights

GO HOKIES!!

I like the integrated receiver hitch and how the bumper attaches to the stock receiver hitch mount points for additional strength. But a couple of questions. I have a rear ladder where the jerry can holder is located so how would one climb up to the roof rack? And are the bumper side wings reinforced for vertical as well as horizontal impacts?
    2000 D2 SD w/BFG MT 255/85/16, 3" lift, ARB front bumper, custom rear bumper & rock sliders, Mantec snorkel, CDL, KMC front & rear diff guard, Columbia Rovers gas tank skid, LR front skid, RoverTracks HD tie rod & drag link, BajaRack roof rack, GBR HD rear driveshaft & 4.14 gears, Trutrac LSD front w/Detroit rear locker, Ashcroft HD axles & CV, Polybush Dynamic bushings, blr HD engine mounts

2000 D2 stock w/BFG AT-KO 245/75/16, TF front & KMC rear diff guard, RockStar Fab rear door panel

Quote Originally Posted by Street Wolf View Post
    Not really digging that. Most of it looks great, but then other parts just don't look as if they had much effort put into them.
    I'm always open to critiquing, put some effort into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_Hokie View Post
    Hey, I like it Denny. I will see you at URE. My BottorF'ed rear bumper did not like my weight distributing hitch this past weekend traveling to MAR. The receiver mount in the bumper is a little indented now and the skid plate is not quite straight across. The piece of flat steel has a slight U shape to it from the downward pressure of the wt dist. hitch mount on the receiver that rest on the skid plate. I think I will be having the integrated rear skid plate cut from the steel plate that comes off the center of the rear bumper and have the bumper squared up, and go back to my factory hitch/mount. The rear skid plate you have that mounts to the factory hitch mount frame, does it bolt on or weld on? I think I will go with that for a rear skid plate. Shoot me a PM or email me what that will cost me, and if you can get me one delivered to URE. I will take a few pics of my bumper to send you for you opinion on what you see, and what you think I should do with it.

I still want to get some sliders, but want them to be customized to include my SS factory nerfs. Yea, I know it is not normal, but if you can put two hi-lift jack points in the sliders, can't you make a mount point for the L bracket mounts to attach so I can keep my shiny SS nerfs? OK, I am not a hard core off-roader by any means, I want to keep a little of that bling.
    Tony, I'll take a look at your bumper when we get to URE and I'm sure we can come up with a good fix. I'll look at the SS parts also and see if we can come up with a solid way to add them to the sliders.

Quote Originally Posted by yubert View Post
    I like the integrated receiver hitch and how the bumper attaches to the stock receiver hitch mount points for additional strength. But a couple of questions. I have a rear ladder where the jerry can holder is located so how would one climb up to the roof rack? And are the bumper side wings reinforced for vertical as well as horizontal impacts?
    Yubert, We looked at mounting the jerry can holder on the other side of the tire but decided against it for weight distribution issues. We can put it wherever you want it, just give us a shout. The side wings do not have any extra mounting on this paticular bumper. We have always done that in previous units, but found that when we added the lower bracing going to the factory hitch mount the bumper wings had no movement. We stood on the top edge of the wing and it just didn't move and I weigh 230 and Dane weighs in around 265. We would certainly add them if requested.

Looking good Denny. I do wonder why the vertical member just inboard of the bearing is so tall? Was this added to accommodate future mods? I'll be starting my own rear design this fall. I'll keep you all updated on progress. You all sure are handy with that tubing bender.
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

Quote Originally Posted by sactodisco View Post
    Looking good Denny. I do wonder why the vertical member just inboard of the bearing is so tall? Was this added to accommodate future mods? I'll be starting my own rear design this fall. I'll keep you all updated on progress. You all sure are handy with that tubing bender.
    That is to mount a Hi-Lift jack using tube clamps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 155.jpg  

Ahhh... sweet idea. Ya'll are always thinking
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

i like it alot on both the D1 and D2 the cage gives it a "crawler" like look to it.
    1997 D1 6" lift 33" bumpers, glasspack ,HID's
    comming soon Sliders, toy conversion,35"s