Thread: Fitting a Crank handle???

Fitting a Crank handle???

This may seem a bit odd, so be prepared!

Id like to know if anyone has or has at least considered fitting an old fashioned manual cranking handle to their Landy? (The old type that was replaced by the starter motor? The handle that was cranked over a few times to start vehicles.)

Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks!

You should be able to if you can find (or have made) a starter dog with the correct thread pitch and length. On the Series engines it was just fitted in lieu of of a plain crank pulley nut.
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

Why do you ask? What's wrong with your starter?

Cool

Series trucks with the hand crank were 7:1 and 8:1 compression ratio on a four-cylinder. And with everything in decent tune, it would start on about a 1/2 crank. The Rover V8s are more on the order of 9:1, and of course 8 cylinders. Mine all require several revolutions before they fire. You'd have to be Chuck Norris to hand crank a modern V8!

If you're concerned about being able to start the truck with either a dead battery or a bad starter, you most likely already have a manual tranny so there's always pop-starting, and a battery jumper pack can be a godsend in some cases.

Still, it might be worth trying out, just to see if it's actually doable...
    Last edited by TigerDan; 10-05-2011 at 09:38 AM.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

you would probably be able to find the parts from industrial Diesel engine suppliers. when I worked off-shore oil a lot of our equipment was hand-cranked diesels.....not something i would want to try with a modern motor. the diesels we used had de-compression levers to allow us to actually get the motor spinning. without a de-compression system I don't think it could be done.

advntrjnky
    '99 D1 SD, stock saggy springs and 245/75r16 BFG AT

Thanks for all the info/advice! I certainly have something to think about!

Here's a fun way to crank start a motor

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=916119