Thread: water injection for a 2.5 NA

water injection for a 2.5 NA

Checking to see if anyone has used a water injection on a 2.5 NA. They are pitiful in a 110 on pulling any grade. With temps nearing 100 in the summer it pulls worse. My thought is it may help cool the intake air. Any comment appreciated.

If you think the purpose of water injection is to cool your intake air, then you're way off the mark. You don't need water injection, you need a fresh/cool air source (a snorkel is popular).
    '94 Disco - Lots of mods and dents, scratches, and scars.

I've done the snorkel with no help. I may be off the mark, but some of the reading I've done on water injection was that it cooled the intake charge. My other thought is I may asking to much out of old technology.

I'm relatively new to the diesels but, I think you'd benefit more from the water injection on a turbocharged motor than on a naturally aspirated motor. Not sure it would help much on an naturally aspirated motor.

Having said that though, I'm hoping someone more knowledgable than me chimes in with better news. I'm also driving a 110 with the 2.5 na motor. I share your opinion regarding the lack of power on a hill. I just get myself in that diesel frame of mind and down shift to where the motor is comfortable. I figure I'll get there eventually.

The water injection you are thinking about, is for pressurized motors. When the intake charge of air is heated from the compressor, or turbocharger, the atomized water cools and condenses the air before entering the intake manifold. It is from the denser air charge, that allows the use of more fuel in the mixture to make more horse power. If you have a NA diesel, you are only using ambient air, and will gain nothing from water injection. I used water injection used on high compression(12.5:1) gas motors, sometimes with a methanol mix to help deal with detonation. If you want more power, a TDi swap would be the best route.
    Greg

Thank you for your comments. Again I think I'm expecting to much out of old technology.I'm on the search for a turbo diesel or tdi to gain performance. These engines are far more expensive than Gas v-8s. I have a left hand drive defender so it limits my selection to defender engines only due to the turbo location. Has anyone had any success modifying and putting a Disco tdi into a left hand drive defender? I'm not sure on the fine details of the disco engine other than it interferes with the steering due to a low turbo mount. I'll give up the idea of water injection.