Thread: discoll trailer wiring

discoll trailer wiring

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the discoll trailer plug, or know exactly what all wires go to and from? I was going to use the " wal-mart" converter harness, but others said they had issues with this kit. I as others need no more issues!
    01 disco ll se
    77 f-250
    78 f-150
    79 f-150

I haven't had any issues at all with the Hopkins converters, which is what walmart sells, or at least used to.
    Wire colors for the plug inside the back are in the ETM.
    Alternatively, just use a test light to identify them.
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

Hopkins converter works fine for me. There is one that requires power and one that does not. I have the one that requires power. Other D2's i have seen have the one without power. I would suggest the one without power, it works and one less wire to find and connect. Mine came to me on my '01 D2 from the previous owner so I did not wire mine, but I did move my brake lights to the bumper, upgrade to '03-'04 bumper lights and move my backup lights down and signals up. So, I used RAVE to get the wire colors, but since I like to have a quick answer now and then from others without digging all the time I will share those colors here for you. Find a safe place under the rear of the body that is metal and sand it good so you get a ground and take the white ground wire from the Hopkins kit to that point using a round crimp on lug and a sheet metal screw.

All you really need I believe is one of the LH & RH turn signals, and tail light wire to match up to the Hopkins 4-wire converter kit. Check the directions, they are pretty clear once you know your vehicle wires.

Wire colors inside the upper rear tail lights. RAVE Manual, Electronic Diagrams Pg. 49.5 or Pg. 100 of 126 in the PDF pages count
    Red-Yellow - Rear Bumper Fog Lights
    Green-White - RH Turn Signal
    Red-Orange - RH Tail Lights
    Green-Purple - Brake Lights
    Green-Red - LH Turn Signal
    Red-Black - LH Tail Light

Trailer Socket Colors per RAVE
    Blue - Rear Fog Lights
    Green - RH Turn Signal
    Brown - RH Tail Light
    Red - Brake Light
    Yellow - LH Turn Signal
    Black - LH Tail Light
    Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 09-28-2011 at 05:07 PM.
    Tony

Black '01 D2 148K AMSOIL Synthetics
    HG Jul-11, ABS Opt B fix, Motorad 180 t-stat, Magnecor 8mm wires, NGK plugs, TW front DS, QT diff guards, TF steering damper, OME 777/781 MD springs w/rear D1 spring seats, TF+2 shocks, SS ext brake hoses, HLC Fab Sliders w/nerfs, BottorF'ed modified rear bumper, SD Roof Rack w/4 Hellas, LR fuel tank skid, Yokohama Geolander AT-S LT245/75/16E, LR stainless A-bar w/IPF lights

GO HOKIES!!

god bless you tony! I think this needs to be sticky, cause i know many are clueless as i was. I too like quick answers, and hate sitting for hours digging in the rave!
    01 disco ll se
    77 f-250
    78 f-150
    79 f-150

You're better off running the ground up inside the rear pillar to the common body ground. Doing it on the body underneath will eventually lead to corrosion and a failed ground.
    I suspect people who have issues with the Hopkins converters didn't hook them up well, they used scotchlock connectors, wire nuts or crappy unsealed crimps.
    If you use high quality uninsulated connectors, put in a dab of dielectric grease and then seal them well with adhesive lined heat shrink, you'll never have any problems.
    You only need the powered converter if you have a whole lot of trailer lights.
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.