Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire Choices for the LR4

Tire Choices for the LR4

1. Has anyone figured out yet what is the largest diameter or available tire size that will fit an LR4 without a lift kit?

2. While we're at it, I know aside from the limited special custum wheel run that made 18" for the LR4, only 19 and 20s' are available. Has anyone found a decent AT tire for either of those wheel sizes?

Luis

07 LR3 SE / 06 LR3 HSE

I have an LR4 that came with 19" wheels and 255/55R19 Continental Contact 4x4 tires. At that time there was approximately 1/2 an inch or less between the inside of the tire and the air strut. It seemed to me you couldn't go much wider unless you installed wheel spacers. I was not impressed with the Continental's so I bought the Pirelli Scorpian ATR's (the best tire I could find in 19"). The Pirelli's actually were skinnier than the Continental's even though they were a 255/55R19 too. Long story short there is not a lot of options for 19" wheels and the profile on a 20" wheel would leave you with no rubber.

So in less then one year of having the LR4 I have tried two sets of tires and now bit the bullet and bought the 18" wheels from the UK and have had the GY MT/R's mounted! Happiness at last!
    '96 Disco SD - 33" BFG's, 4.6 Motor, ARB Rear Locker, Ashcroft Front Locker, Ashcroft HD R&P (4.12), Rover Tracks HD F & R Axles, QT F & R Diff Guards, 2" OME Lift, OME Front Shocks, Terrafirma Big Bore Rear Shocks, 2" Rovertym Body Lift, Rovertym F & R Bumpers, Rovertym Front & Gas Tank Skid Plates, Rovertym Rock Sliders, Rover Tracks HD Drag Link, Rover Tracks HD High Clearance Tie Rod, Rover Tracks Steering Damper Relocation Kit, Rover Tracks Rear Trailing Arms, Tom Woods F & R Drive Shafts.

So, Nigel, what size 18" tire did you end up going with? and are you running a lift with them? I am only asking because I know there's an LR4 in my future at some point. Just doing a little thinking ahead.

Luis

07 LR3 SE / 06 LR3 HSE

I ended up with the G/Y MT/R's w/Kevlar (275/65R18) for tires complimented with Sasquatch Rods (shortened 11mm in the front and about 9.5mm in the rear). Truck sits pretty level... just trying to resolve an intermittent vibration from the front end now! I'm not sure if it is from over extending the geometry of the front suspension or the tires will never be truley balanced?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2191.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	25930
    '96 Disco SD - 33" BFG's, 4.6 Motor, ARB Rear Locker, Ashcroft Front Locker, Ashcroft HD R&P (4.12), Rover Tracks HD F & R Axles, QT F & R Diff Guards, 2" OME Lift, OME Front Shocks, Terrafirma Big Bore Rear Shocks, 2" Rovertym Body Lift, Rovertym F & R Bumpers, Rovertym Front & Gas Tank Skid Plates, Rovertym Rock Sliders, Rover Tracks HD Drag Link, Rover Tracks HD High Clearance Tie Rod, Rover Tracks Steering Damper Relocation Kit, Rover Tracks Rear Trailing Arms, Tom Woods F & R Drive Shafts.

I may be able to shed some light on that one. If what you're feeling is more of a "whabble", then yes it is more than likely a tire balance issue. HOWEVER, if you're right in describing what you're feeling as a "vibration", then been there, done that, wrecked my braing looking for the culprit. Anytime I took the LR3 over 75mph, it would start vibrating, never any problems below that speed, at least in my particular case. Ended up being that the half shafts up front can only handle spining at high speed being out of factory center only so much. Once you get past that magical angle, whatever it is, the vibration kicks in. I had my shop play with the suspension and the lift rods a little bit, lowering the LR3 in small increments and re-testing on the road until the vibration went away. I thing I had gotten a little overzelous with my rods and went over what was intended. Ending up coming back down about 1/2" from where it was. Vibration eliminated permanently.

Luis

07 LR3 SE / 06 LR3 HSE

Luis,

I've read your posts before regarding the issue. My problem is that the vibration "may" appear anywhere from 30 to 65 MPH and normally disapear once moving faster than 70 MPH... I'm baffled? Not sure where to go with it? I should have you test drive to see if the vibration is similar to the vibration you had.

Can you pin point what changed that caused the vibration to start? New tires? Installed lift? New wheels? I'd love to test drive it for you see if we can put that nail on that cuffin.

Luis

07 LR3 SE / 06 LR3 HSE

sounds like a balancing issue. It's possible that the CV's are going in and out of harmonic phasing, but you'd also hear droning at specific speeds. Keep me posted.
    Sasquatch Rods, GoodYear Wrangler MTR 275/65/18, ARB BullBar, EP9.0, Hella 4000's Cornering

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    sounds like a balancing issue.
    That's kind of my thought... just sucks though! I've had America's Tire balance them twice and then LR and still getting a little vibration.

I remember seeing a TON of weights inside your rim - STACKS if I remember correctly. It's possible that the rim itself is tweaked??
    Last edited by sasquatch; 08-23-2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: additional info
    Sasquatch Rods, GoodYear Wrangler MTR 275/65/18, ARB BullBar, EP9.0, Hella 4000's Cornering