Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Discovery 2 - Replacing the Door Rubbing Strips?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    6

    Question Discovery 2 - Replacing the Door Rubbing Strips?

    Hello All,

    I recently bought my first Land Rover Discovery 2. The Driver's door rubbing strip needs replacing as the chrome insert has started to oxidise.

    I understand that I can purchase a replacement and am told by the local main dealer parts department that the rubbing strips are held on with 'two sided tape'.

    Does anyone have any tips for removing the old rubbing strip from the drivers door with minimum damage to the paint work? They seem well stuck on and I'm wary of attacking them with a screw driver to lever them off.

    I imagine that once I get them off I can clean off the old sticky stuff from the door with methelated spirits. Are there any issues with doing this re damaging the paint?

    Cheers for any useful replies.

    Vonbek

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ripon, Ca. (That's not England chaps)
    Posts
    1,514
    So you're working on the out side molding strips.


    I'm not sure but if they only attached them via double sided tape, I indeed know the trick. You need the tape/door warm so this is best done on a hot summer day and you'd never want to do this on a cold snowy night. Take fishing line and attach it to two handles. You can now slice it along the molding without harm to the door or it's paint. I've pulled a lot of junk off cars over the years to get a California clean look. That's how it's done.

    Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor


  3. #3
    I used a Wagner 905 1,500-Watt On-Demand Power Steamer to remove the rubber strip as well as plastic fender flares. Both are attached using double-sided tape.

    The power steamer softens the double-sided tape so that the rubber strip can be peeled off. The heated steam will not damage the paint. A body shop told me they that is what they use.

    I got mine last year from Amazon when the price was ~$75. Guess the price has gone up.

    http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-500-Wat.../dp/B000I618NY
    2000 D2 SD w/BFG MT 255/85/16, 3" lift, ARB front bumper, custom rear bumper & rock sliders, Mantec snorkel, CDL, KMC front & rear diff guard, Columbia Rovers gas tank skid, LR front skid, RoverTracks HD tie rod & drag link, BajaRack roof rack, GBR HD rear driveshaft & 4.14 gears, Trutrac LSD front w/Detroit rear locker, Ashcroft HD axles & CV, Polybush Dynamic bushings, blr HD engine mounts

    2000 D2 stock w/BFG AT-KO 245/75/16, TF front & KMC rear diff guard, RockStar Fab rear door panel

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    6

    Smile

    Many thanks Green Achers and yubert.

    Those both sound like great ideas. I already own a Karcher steam cleaner so I will try that to heat the strip up and use fishing line to slice along behind it.

  5. #5
    Note if you use a power steamer and you have the wide rubber strip, the double-sided tape is applied to the top and bottom of the strip. So apply the hot steam along the top and bottom edge to soften the adhesive tape.

    I used a wood spatula from the 99-cent store to separate/scrape the adhesive from the paint and the rubber strip.
    2000 D2 SD w/BFG MT 255/85/16, 3" lift, ARB front bumper, custom rear bumper & rock sliders, Mantec snorkel, CDL, KMC front & rear diff guard, Columbia Rovers gas tank skid, LR front skid, RoverTracks HD tie rod & drag link, BajaRack roof rack, GBR HD rear driveshaft & 4.14 gears, Trutrac LSD front w/Detroit rear locker, Ashcroft HD axles & CV, Polybush Dynamic bushings, blr HD engine mounts

    2000 D2 stock w/BFG AT-KO 245/75/16, TF front & KMC rear diff guard, RockStar Fab rear door panel

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    6
    Pulling wire behind them didn't work as a removal technique. The wire snapped almost instantly. I just ripped them off in the end by hand, and spent an hour with a Karcher steam cleaner plus Auto Glym tar remover to get the sticky gunk off. It was then a 5 minute job to apply the new rubber strips. They look very nice :-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •