Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swivel ball greasing tool

Cool Swivel ball greasing tool

Thought I’d share a trick for greasing your swivel balls. I bought the One-Shot grease and quickly found the grease did not want to go in the fill hole. Much of it pushed out the very hole I was trying to put it in.

For about $7 I came up with a tool. Here’s the parts list:
    Pep Boys: FloTool “The MixMizer” $4.98
    Home Depot: SharkBite 38/” x ½” MNPT reducing connector $1.98

The MixMizer is basically a syringe used for mixing two cycle motor oil. It even came with a 4” length of tubing.
    The SharkBite fitting basically is a brass threaded male to barbed adaptor.

Apply Teflon tape to the brass fitting and connect it to the tubing in the syringe. Thread the fitting into the fill hole on the swivel ball, hand tight is sufficient. Fill the syringe with the one shot grease and install the plunger. It took seven syringe fills to empty the one shot tube. Somewhat tedious but it’s a clean process and you can actually get the entire one shot tube emptied into the swivel ball.

Now to the pics!

Note: The grease seen on the housing is from my first attempt without the tool.

That is Freakin AWESOME!!!
    '99 Land Rover Discovery 1 SD
    2" RTE Springs
    +2" Terrafirma Shocks
    Terrafirma Turret Rings
    Tom Woods front D/C Drive shaft
    Terrafirma 2" extended steel braided brake lines
    245/75R-16 Firestone A/T's

Leave it to Brett to find a new way to apply lube. Good job man.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies because I won't" General George S. Patton

1983 Defender 110 Wagon

Nice work, I just usually make sure the grease is nice and hot before filling. It flows pretty well. If it's summer I just leave it out in the sun for an hour or so, if it's winter, I put it in a pot of hot water. Then just cut the hole nice and small. I agree with you, it's a pain in the butt to get it right. Sweet home made tool.
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

I've also never had an issue topping off the swivel grease. Winter or summer.

Nice work though.

Necessity is the mother of all inventions... nice work man.

So, now I am thinking I need two of these, one for each swivel, about 3 feet of tube per side and a nice little bracket.

oh, and a bigger syringe....maybe like somethig a 60's rockstar would need, HUGE.....

Then I can cap the tube, mount it under the hood on the shock perch and when I want to add grease, just pop the hood and do it......mmm.
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

I usually just stick a soda straw or length of small tubing into the hole and fill past it, the air trapped in the swivel housing and being displaced by the grease escapes out the straw and the grease goes right in. But this looks like a nice, clean solution.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by astateofmike View Post
    So, now I am thinking I need two of these, one for each swivel, about 3 feet of tube per side and a nice little bracket.

oh, and a bigger syringe....maybe like somethig a 60's rockstar would need, HUGE.....

Then I can cap the tube, mount it under the hood on the shock perch and when I want to add grease, just pop the hood and do it......mmm.
    I frickin' hate you.

Used it again this weekend on my brother's swivel balls. Worked like a charm. I know others have got it done different ways, but I like this. The only thing I'd change is to find a larger syringe. One that could accomodate the entire One Shot.

I f'in hate you too. oh, and lucky we are friends, otherwise this quote would just be thread fodder....

Quote Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
    Used it again this weekend on my brother's swivel balls. Worked like a charm.
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB