Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignition Issues

Ignition Issues

When driving I will feel a slight decrease in power/RPM. Nothing too noticeable. I got on the freeway today and when the RPMs were held above 2000 I would feel a very prominent hesitation then the car would go back to normal. Then it started doing this hesitation over and over again where I could barely accelerate while at speed. It seems like an ignition issue. While traveling at speed on the freeway the RPM fluctuation would be in the neighborhood of 200-300. Any ideas would be helpful.

Fuel filter.
    West Coast purveyor of early Land Rover Parts
    1995 LWB Aspen Silver Edition. AKA DudeMobile...4.6 chipped w cam & headers...4" lift with 255/85R16 tires (33")...ARB lockers front & rear...Etc, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by roverdude View Post
    Fuel filter.
    x2. Especially if it works fine on city streets.
    Neill
    2005 LR3 HSE
    1984 D90 300Tdi
    1965 Series IIA 88"
    Come Join Us On An Adventure! Land Rover Club of San Diego

Really!? Okay Ill take a look. It runs great around town. Its only when under hard acceleration or on the freeway with RPMs above 2000.

Or possibly a weak fuel pump.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

replaced fuel filter. Problem still persists. Picking up new fuel pump today.

Best to test fuel pressure before dropping the bux on a rather pricey fuel pump. Harbor Freight has a Fuel Pressure Tester for about 15 bucks.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Iam not sure about fuel problem at all, I would pop the dist cap off and check the inside of the dist. My bet is it as loose as can be. Tighten up the screws and drive it.

i replaced the fuel pump and still have slight symptoms. I think the pump was going out anyway. I checked my coil to cap wire and found it to have over 6.5K resistence!!! Is this normal? I also found that my advance diaphram that sits outside the dist is loose.

if the vacum advace is loose so is the rest..tighten all screws up..I bet that solves a majority of your issues