Thread: All ALL WHEEL DRIVES are NOT created equal.

All ALL WHEEL DRIVES are NOT created equal.

This is an interesting test ramp that puts vehicles into scientific conditions regarding wheel traction (or lack there of). Sadly, they only tested soccer mom cars but the lessons are of interest to those of us with real AWD/FWD's. I can only hope to see some Jeeps and Land Rovers in their future analysis.

Last edited by Green Achers; 09-11-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

Good thing I have a Land Rover AND a Subaru!!

Colin

Interesting video. I'm glad somebody finally did something like this to differentiate the performance of the different systems. It's just too bad they had to go and muddy the waters with the "Symetrical AWD" bull*censored**censored**censored**censored*. Shaft length has nothing to do with it.

I am surprised at how badly the Honda and Toyota did with the front wheels on rollers. I'm not sure what they have as a center diff but it must really suck.

But even the Subarus demonstrate the lag inherent in all "automatic" systems. A torsen equiped Audi wouldn't even slow down.

We enjoyed a few days in the surround hills of Reno last week. Only found one area we couldn't make (due to loose rock incline + lazy driver that didn't want to deflate tire pressures).

In another area, I thought I'd need to winch out of a creek but figured out my attack angle was the problem when I got out to prep the cable. The problem was an articulating incline that exceeded my flex. If I had a locker on either differential, it wouldn't have been an issue. Now that I'm home, I can't stop wondering if I handicapped my Discovery-I by disabling the ABS? Back to the books I go!

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

Notice how they do not show you the rear wheels in the shot when entering the ramp. Like you would actually conduct a test like that with a wall at the end of the ramp. Subaru obviously found out how to beat some of the competition by simply putting a slight obstacle (Bump) in front of the rear wheels. Give me a break and be open about how you beat them. You would be more legitimate if you did. Smoke and mirrors!
    West Coast purveyor of early Land Rover Parts
    1995 LWB Aspen Silver Edition. AKA DudeMobile...4.6 chipped w cam & headers...4" lift with 255/85R16 tires (33")...ARB lockers front & rear...Etc, etc, etc.