Thread: How to tow a D1?

How to tow a D1?

I am going to need to move a 'new to me' 95 D1, about 100mi.

Can I tow it with a dolly, either front or back, with the trans in Neutral and the TC in Neutral?

The best option would be a flat deck trailer, but that might not be an option so I need a contigency plan.

Thanks
    Larry
    1995 Disco I 5 Spd (Now, was auto) 99,500Km
    2002 Volvo V70, 190,000Km (Mine/Soon Hers)
    2002 BMW R1150RT, 122,000Km (Mine)

you can flat tow if using an appropriate tow bar, not sure about using a dolly under one set of wheels.

If flat tow then
    1) Transfer case in neutral
    2) trans in park
    3) key in position 1 to keep steering from locking

If this is a one time move I recommend renting a uhaul or similar car trailer

Thanks,

That is what I thought, the option with a tow dolly means diconnecting the DS.

Looks like a flat deck is the best option.

Larry

Actually, I think flat on the ground is the best option. It's certainly the cheapest but the biggest reason is this. If you put it on a trailer, your tow vehicle now needs to add that weight to the draw in addition to the hefty D1 (Load=D1+Trailer). Not a lot of trucks are rated for that kind of draw tonnage and U-Haul won't even rent the trailer without the proper lead vehicle [but they'll be happy to rent a truck to pull it for you]. You quickly get to the point that an Auto Transporter is cheaper.

If you do chose trolling [no trailer] make sure you attach to the correct locations. The front bumper is not the correct draw connection as you'd rip it off. Most any RV Shop will install or guide you, connect to the frame. As noted above, the ignition must remain on step 1 to allow the steering to remain unlocked.

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

Thanks for all the help and advise guys.

Long story short, I have a flat-desk car hauler who is moving it for me, for less than the cost of renting a trailer.

Old thread, but I'm having the same issue... I need to tow one D1 with another D1. The towed vehicle has a non-air bag ARB winch bumper (no crumple mount). Can I attach a tow bar to the ARB bumper and tow it that way?

Thanks!

I'm often asked how an environmental scientist can drive around in a 10 mpg Land Rover...
    I tell them that when sea level rise inundates the city,... I'll still be able to get around.

Vehicle:
    1998 & 1999 Land Rover Discovery I