Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rolling Restoration & Customization Of My 88' RRC

Now for the first part of the metal fabrication...

I started off by making a hammer-form to shape the metal for the floor support then I spent probably four hours hammering, shrinking, cutting, and shaping it to fit the way I wanted it to. I then moved onto taking three inches out of the seat mounts and realized that I should make the floor support a double walled panel. So then I finished up the day/night by making a inner strengthening support for the other piece that I made earlier. I figured that since the piece I cut out was 16 gauge and each of the pieces I am putting in are made of 18 gauge, I should double them up to be safe. I have about ten or eleven hours of fabrication into those two panels and cutting the three inches out of the seat mounts. I will be welding everything in and finishing up the drivers side tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4618.JPG   IMG_4623.JPG   IMG_4630.JPG   IMG_4636.JPG   IMG_4640.JPG  

IMG_4641.JPG   IMG_4646.JPG   IMG_4650.JPG   IMG_4652.JPG   IMG_4656.JPG  

Last edited by RRClassicBT550; 06-17-2011 at 02:40 AM.
    Have a good one!

Jon

1988 RRC rolling restoration & customization

<a href="http://www.LRRForums.com/showthread.php?19302-The-Rolling-Restoration-amp-Customization-Of-My-88-RRC" target="_blank">My Range Rover Classic build thread</a>

Does anyone have a set of early 80's (4 door) front doors or door uppers w/ quarter windows for sale? I want to convert my rover to the quarter window style front doors.

More photos...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4660.JPG   IMG_4665.JPG   IMG_4666.JPG   IMG_4677.JPG   IMG_4681.JPG  

IMG_4682.JPG   IMG_4684.JPG   IMG_4685.JPG   IMG_4708.JPG   IMG_4710.JPG  

Have a good one!

Jon

<a href="http://www.LRRForums.com/showthread.php?19302-The-Rolling-Restoration-amp-Customization-Of-My-88-RRC" target="_blank">My Range Rover Classic build thread</a>

Does anyone have a set of early 80's (4 door) front doors or door uppers w/ quarter windows for sale? I want to convert my rover to the quarter window style front doors.

The rest of the photos...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4713.JPG   IMG_4693.JPG   IMG_4696.JPG   IMG_4704.JPG   IMG_4707.JPG  

Have a good one!

Jon

I will like to see and understand how you mount the front seats in the back, Do they have the electric motors connect it..?

can you take them out easily..??

Thanks for any input and also congratulations on the great work you are doing.

Jon,
    WOW! I have worked with sheet-metal for 19 years. I started designing flat patterns and progressed to 3D modeling. I can program/operate punch presses, press-brakes and hardware machines, but I have never seen some work sheet-metal like you . Incredible work. I admit that using the available equipment at my old job I could complete what you did in about 1-2 hours, but the fact the you did it with wood, hammer and vises is beyond reproach. Excellent craftmanship. My hat is off to you and my bug is raised!

Regards,
    Chris D.
    Chris D.
    "Alabama Red" MUDY_OVL
    '95 DI

Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    I will like to see and understand how you mount the front seats in the back, Do they have the electric motors connect it..?

can you take them out easily..??

Thanks for any input and also congratulations on the great work you are doing.
    Well my goal is to have all of the modifications/repairs to the floor finished by the end of this weekend, which also includes fabricating the rear seat mounting structures. I am using the original front seat that I took out and replaced three years ago, they are exactly the same as the current front seats only the upholstery on them is very rough (I will be making/modifying some simple seat covers for them).
    Yes they will have power running to them so they can be adjusted for passenger comfort. That power will be provided through and auxiliary fuse box that I have to wire in. I have also made simpler and more dependable seat switches for all four seats.
    The seats will be bolted in, so unfortunately the will not be easily removed. However, I am going the make the seat backs detachable so that I will then be able to have a board extend off of the drawer system and go over them for extra cargo space as well as for sleeping in the Rover.

I will be posting pictures of the progress as I go along so keep checking back for more information.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

Thank you for the compliments they are much appreciated!
    Have a good one!

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Mudy_ovl View Post
    Jon,
    WOW! I have worked with sheet-metal for 19 years. I started designing flat patterns and progressed to 3D modeling. I can program/operate punch presses, press-brakes and hardware machines, but I have never seen some work sheet-metal like you . Incredible work. I admit that using the available equipment at my old job I could complete what you did in about 1-2 hours, but the fact the you did it with wood, hammer and vises is beyond reproach. Excellent craftmanship. My hat is off to you and my bug is raised!

Regards,
    Chris D.
    Chris,

Thank you very much for the compliments but I do have to admit that there was also a shrinker/stretcher, 100lbs anvil, rotary shear, power shear, hand shear, some dollies, a wooden slapper, and a file involved in the making of the those two panels so I can't take all of the credit.
    I have a press brake with section dies, 3D modeling software, and many other tools but when it comes to areas that may be less than square with varying heights and other misc. hurdles (as is the case with Land Rovers), I prefer to do it by hand.

If you would like to see a panel that is truly made by hand...that is going to be the one I have to make for the transmission tunnel. That panel is going to take a lot of work by hand, hammer, sand bag, and forming heads. So please check back and let me know what you think.

Once again thank you very much for your compliments I really appreciate them!
    Have a good one!

Jon

Update on the status of lowering the seats

Sorry it has been so long since I have posted an update on lowering the seats. It has turned out to be quite the project. So far I have about thirty to forty hours into the project right now, granted about five hours of it has been sitting down with a good beverage to figure out how the heck to do it all and ten to fifteen of it has been split between making test panels and a few failed attempts at fabricating the transmission tunnel panel.

I am quite a few days behind schedule at this point and I only have twenty-two to twenty-three days left before I leave for the road trip.

I have made all of the panels and fitted them on the drivers side and I am waiting for good weather so that I can weld them all in. I have begun the rear seat mountings and I am also waiting on the weather to be able to do some welding. I haven't started the passenger side just yet but I will have it all done soon enough, now that I have actually figured out how to do it.

Sorry it is taking so long everyone...

P.S.
    These photos are a few days behind on my progress I will try to get some up to date ones either today or tomorrow. And if you are going to use the measurements written on the panel in the pictures, please remember that they may have been modified during final fitment. Also the 4" measurement in the center of the panel was changed to 3 1/8", as you will see by the pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4717.JPG   IMG_4719.JPG   IMG_4721.JPG   IMG_4769.JPG   IMG_4770.JPG  

IMG_4773.JPG   IMG_4774.JPG   IMG_4777.JPG   IMG_4781.JPG   IMG_4783.JPG  

Have a good one!

Jon

More photos...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4789.JPG   IMG_4791.JPG   IMG_4809.JPG   IMG_4812.JPG   IMG_4814.JPG  

IMG_4815.JPG   IMG_4816.JPG   IMG_4820.JPG   IMG_4827.JPG   IMG_4829.JPG  

Have a good one!

Jon

Last couple of photos...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4835.JPG   IMG_4843.JPG  
    Have a good one!

Jon