Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rolling Restoration & Customization Of My 88' RRC

Great write up. I enjoyed following your progress. Good luck with all the mods. Wish I had some $/time to do it as well.
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

Pictures of the amount of water found

So I forgot to post pictures of the actual amount of water I found inside my Rover. Keep in mind that two years ago I went through sanded out the rust, primed everything, and painted the floors. I also replaced all of the sound deadening that is glued to those mattes two years ago as well. So things can happen pretty quickly. You might take a look under your Rovers rubber floor mattes...just in case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4139.JPG   IMG_4143.JPG   IMG_4148.JPG   IMG_4150.JPG   IMG_4152.JPG  

Have a good one!

Jon

1988 RRC rolling restoration & customization

<a href="http://www.LRRForums.com/showthread.php?19302-The-Rolling-Restoration-amp-Customization-Of-My-88-RRC" target="_blank">My Range Rover Classic build thread</a>

Does anyone have a set of early 80's (4 door) front doors or door uppers w/ quarter windows for sale? I want to convert my rover to the quarter window style front doors.

Cleaning, inspecting, and organizing the wiring

So on todays agenda was to start cleaning, inspecting, and organizing the wiring. Tomorrow I am going to be starting the cutting, fabricating, and welding for the two patch panels in the floor and also for lowering the front seats. I am not looking to cut, burn, or in any way cause a problem with the wiring, so I am taping the dashboard wiring out of the way for the moment and also beginning the process of putting plastic sheathing on all the wires in the vehicle because it never came from the factory with any protection for the wires. While I am putting the sheathing on the wires, I am inspecting them for nicks, cuts, melted insulating, and really sharp bends not to mention detangling and simplifying complicated areas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4300.JPG   IMG_4301.JPG   IMG_4302.JPG   IMG_4308.JPG   IMG_4317.JPG  

IMG_4314.JPG   IMG_4381.JPG   IMG_4390.JPG   IMG_4396.JPG   IMG_4399.JPG  

Have a good one!

Jon

<a href="http://www.LRRForums.com/showthread.php?19302-The-Rolling-Restoration-amp-Customization-Of-My-88-RRC" target="_blank">My Range Rover Classic build thread</a>

Does anyone have a set of early 80's (4 door) front doors or door uppers w/ quarter windows for sale? I want to convert my rover to the quarter window style front doors.

Here is what the wiring looks like after I have finished sheathing it. The purple wires by the window is the dome light wires that have been zip tied up out of the way to protect them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4425.JPG   IMG_4428.JPG   IMG_4452.JPG  
    Last edited by RRClassicBT550; 06-14-2011 at 09:03 PM.
    Have a good one!

Jon

As for the water problem..I had a small coffee issue in the LWB....the Rice Trick for cell phones worked great.

Toss a bag of rice (in your case a big bag) out on the ground and lay those carpets on it with something to hold it flat...that moisture will be gone. Mine was sopped, and now is bone dry....pretty awesome that it worked THAT well.
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

Quote Originally Posted by astateofmike View Post
    As for the water problem..I had a small coffee issue in the LWB....the Rice Trick for cell phones worked great.

Toss a bag of rice (in your case a big bag) out on the ground and lay those carpets on it with something to hold it flat...that moisture will be gone. Mine was sopped, and now is bone dry....pretty awesome that it worked THAT well.
    Hmm..I am going to keep that in mind for future reference, but this time I am just going to replace everything and refinish the floor again.
    Have a good one!

Jon

Let the drilling, cutting, and fabrication begin!

So now that all of the wiring is out of the way, I can get to the metal work. Up first is lowering the front seats. I started by taking many many measurements and pictures. Then I drilled out all of the spot welds and cut out part of the transmission tunnel. There are no clearance issues on the drivers side. The passengers side will be quite interesting because there is much less clearance. For now I will post some pictures because I gotta get back out to the garage and work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4507.JPG   IMG_4512.JPG   IMG_4515.JPG   IMG_4518.JPG   IMG_4522.JPG  

IMG_4523.JPG   IMG_4527.JPG   IMG_4533.JPG   IMG_4534.JPG   IMG_4540.JPG  

Have a good one!

Jon

And now for the transmission tunnel. I only flipped the panel I cut out to see if would make a good template. I am glad to say that it will work fairly well as a template.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4547.JPG   IMG_4550.JPG   IMG_4551.JPG   IMG_4556.JPG   IMG_4559.JPG  

IMG_4560.JPG  
    Have a good one!

Jon

Alright, last update for the night. To lower the seat two to three inches I also needed cut down the support that runs across the floor. I measured up one and a half inches from the floor and cut the rest off. I still have to cut a little more off tomorrow. Anyway, here are a few more pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4562.JPG   IMG_4564.JPG   IMG_4570.JPG  
    Have a good one!

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by sactodisco View Post
    Great write up. I enjoyed following your progress. Good luck with all the mods. Wish I had some $/time to do it as well.
    Thank you sir, I appreciate it!
    Have a good one!

Jon