Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: The Rolling Restoration & Customization Of My 88' RRC

Rotor Install

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0978.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	29530Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0979.JPG 
Size:	262.2 KB 
ID:	29531Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0984.JPG 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	29532Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0986.jpg 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	29533Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0989.JPG 
Size:	182.4 KB 
ID:	29534

Name:	IMG_0991.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	264.8 KB 
ID:	29535
    I used a magnet dial indicator to make sure I had the proper amount of movement in the wheel bearings. It may seem like a pain but it only takes an extra minute, it makes sure my work is within proper specs and will ease my mind while driving in the future.

Name:	IMG_0993.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	29536
    Hondabond High Temp, I swear by this stuff. I have used other high temp silicones but this is by far and away the best one in my opinion. I have never had anything leak after using this as the sealant.

Name:	IMG_0994.jpg 
Size:	349.9 KB 
ID:	29537

Name:	IMG_1007.jpg 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	29538
    One of the front brakes all finished up with the rebuilt caliper, new rotor, new pads, and new retaining clips.

Name:	IMG_1015.JPG 
Size:	226.9 KB 
ID:	29539
    One of the rear brakes all finished up with the new caliper, rotor, pads, and retaining clips.
    Have a good one!

Jon

1988 RRC rolling restoration & customization

<a href="http://www.LRRForums.com/showthread.php?19302-The-Rolling-Restoration-amp-Customization-Of-My-88-RRC" target="_blank">My Range Rover Classic build thread</a>

Does anyone have a set of early 80's (4 door) front doors or door uppers w/ quarter windows for sale? I want to convert my rover to the quarter window style front doors.

Now, for the other issue, the brakes gradually increasing pressure until they are locked on and the brake pedal is rock solid.

After I rebuilt the calipers, replaced the rotors, and bled the brakes, it still locked all of the brakes on after a bit of driving. So, while looking into the issue further, and fallowing some of the wonderful advice I was given, I consulted the rave manual and found a picture of a spacer that goes between the brake servo and the firewall. Interesting thing is that my 88í Rover never had one, the new brake servo didnít come with one, and there was no spacer on the 96í Discovery that I pulled the pedal assembly out of.

I did search for a while to find out where I could buy a spacer, but it didnít take long to figure out that finding a spacer would be like a quest to find the last remaining Dodo. So I decided to make my own spacer. Thankfully I hadnít gotten around to throwing out my old brake servo yet, which meant I could use it for creating a template. I then made spacer from the template with in one night and with very little fussing about. It worked out beautifully and when the spacer was done it went into place easily. I just unbolted the servo from the firewall, gently pulled the servo back and slipped the spacer in, then bolted it back up to the firewall. Problem Solved.

Now the Rover drives wonderfully, and I feel like I got a 20 hp boost without the brakes constantly being on. The other benefit is that with the pads no longer constantly dragging on the rotors and the spacer making the servo function properly, almost all of the twitchiness under hard braking has gone away (I still need to buy new radius arms though) and another benefit is my gas mileage has gone up to around 16mpg instead of 11-12mpg.

Name:	photo.jpg 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	29548
    The mythical factory spacer...

Name:	IMG0704A.jpg 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	29546
    Using the milling machine with a boring attachment.

Name:	IMG0705A.jpg 
Size:	225.9 KB 
ID:	29547
    2.5" final diameter, just a clean up pass left to do.

Name:	IMG_1049.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	29542
    One last check on the old brake servo to make sure it will fit the new servo properly.

Name:	IMG_1048.JPG 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	29541
    Picture for posterity...

Name:	IMG_1051.JPG 
Size:	237.0 KB 
ID:	29543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1052.jpg 
Size:	258.8 KB 
ID:	29544
    Then onto the new servo...

Name:	IMG_1024.JPG 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	29540
    The pedal spacing before showing it contacting the pedal assembly and not being able travel fully.

Name:	IMG_1054.JPG 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	29545
    The pedal spacing after, it may only be a 1/4" but it was the difference between working properly and not working properly.
    Have a good one!

Jon

<a href="http://www.LRRForums.com/showthread.php?19302-The-Rolling-Restoration-amp-Customization-Of-My-88-RRC" target="_blank">My Range Rover Classic build thread</a>

Does anyone have a set of early 80's (4 door) front doors or door uppers w/ quarter windows for sale? I want to convert my rover to the quarter window style front doors.

Quote Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
    Stinkyfab has a similar mount that he makes, 35 bucks for the small size which should suffice for what you are mounting:

http://www.stinkyfab.com/sfr-products.html
    Thanks! I will definitely be looking into these!
    Have a good one!

Jon

Jon, I know it's been a while since you've updated this thread, but I have a question for you. Back when you were tackling the leaks in your firewall, did you replace the gasket for the fresh air intake (not the one in the cowl, but behind the cowl)? If so, were you able to access it with the cowl removed, or did you have to pull the dash?

Here's a pic of the gasket in question:
    http://www.lrrforums.com/attachment....0&d=1307517795
    '04 Disco
    '89 RRC