Thread: LR4 - Coil Pack or Injector Failure?

LR4 - Coil Pack or Injector Failure?

Ok... I have a 2010 LR4 with 11,100 miles and the check engine light came on last Friday morning. Took it to the dealer (Friday morning) to have checked out and they came up with a faulty coil pack on cylinder 4. Dealer replaced the coil pack and spark plug (took until Tuesday to get spark plug per Dealer). Picked up the truck Tuesday afternoon and drove approximately 50 miles, drove to work the following morning (15 miles) and low & behold when I started the truck up Wednesday evening to drive home the engine was really rough when the gear selector was in D or R and shortly after the CEL returned.

This time I had the truck towed back to the dealer. When they checked the faults it came up with the same issue (faulty coil pack cyl. 4). The service writer told me that they escalated the mater up through their support system and the conclusion was that the injector may be clogged or not working properly.

Solution - fill gas tank with fuel additive to clean injectors and send me down the road.

I always fill the vehicle with premium fuel so I'm guessing I could have bought fuel that was contaminated?

My questions are:

1. Can a clogged fuel injector cause a coil pack to fail?
    2. Can a failed coil pack cause an injector to clog up?
    3. Why does it take a SF Bay Area LR Dealer three days to get a spark plug?
    4. Could these issues be an underlying sign of something worse?

Any thoughts???
    '96 Disco SD - 33" BFG's, 4.6 Motor, ARB Rear Locker, Ashcroft Front Locker, Ashcroft HD R&P (4.12), Rover Tracks HD F & R Axles, QT F & R Diff Guards, 2" OME Lift, OME Front Shocks, Terrafirma Big Bore Rear Shocks, 2" Rovertym Body Lift, Rovertym F & R Bumpers, Rovertym Front & Gas Tank Skid Plates, Rovertym Rock Sliders, Rover Tracks HD Drag Link, Rover Tracks HD High Clearance Tie Rod, Rover Tracks Steering Damper Relocation Kit, Rover Tracks Rear Trailing Arms, Tom Woods F & R Drive Shafts.

It is plausible that a coil pack/spark plug failure can manifest a clogged injector with the absence of unburnt fuel (running rich) that may induce some sort of varnishing. However, I do not believe that a clogged injector can cause a coil pack or spark plug failure although the absence or lack of adequate atomized fuel may induce a lean combustion setting that may overheat the plug tip. dunno.... I would suspect that not having multiple injector failures would lead me to believe that it is not a poor quality fuel issue and no underlying issues remain.

Make it easier, are you getting any fault codes, if so, go to your local parts store, get the codes read for free and get back to us with the 4 digit numbers so you will know for sure.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

An OBDII code reader will not work on the CANbus system. I wonder if my FCR can read the faults on your rig. From what I know about the FCR and MSV2 units, they lock onto the first vehicle that they are plugged into. We can confirm?? Beware if they replaced one of the coil packs. I don't know what it is, but if you replace one, the remaining packs tend to fail in quick order. I can't explain why. but they just do. Did you go to WC?
    Sasquatch Rods, GoodYear Wrangler MTR 275/65/18, ARB BullBar, EP9.0, Hella 4000's Cornering

After running through a tank with fuel additive and three more tanks the CEL has stayed off! I'll keep driving and see if anything changes.
    '96 Disco SD - 33" BFG's, 4.6 Motor, ARB Rear Locker, Ashcroft Front Locker, Ashcroft HD R&P (4.12), Rover Tracks HD F & R Axles, QT F & R Diff Guards, 2" OME Lift, OME Front Shocks, Terrafirma Big Bore Rear Shocks, 2" Rovertym Body Lift, Rovertym F & R Bumpers, Rovertym Front & Gas Tank Skid Plates, Rovertym Rock Sliders, Rover Tracks HD Drag Link, Rover Tracks HD High Clearance Tie Rod, Rover Tracks Steering Damper Relocation Kit, Rover Tracks Rear Trailing Arms, Tom Woods F & R Drive Shafts.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelCowan View Post
    I always fill the vehicle with premium fuel so I'm guessing I could have bought fuel that was contaminated?

My questions are:

1. Can a clogged fuel injector cause a coil pack to fail?
    2. Can a failed coil pack cause an injector to clog up?
    3. Why does it take a SF Bay Area LR Dealer three days to get a spark plug?
    4. Could these issues be an underlying sign of something worse?

Any thoughts???
    1. Maybe. Depends on how long the misfire was active, but doubtful.
    2. Not unheard of. The unburned fuel could clog the injector ports.
    3. I have no idea, but sometimes parts that are commonly replaced are difficult to get in a rush.
    4. Probably not, our direct injection engines have these problems from time to time