Thread: 2004 D2 - spring perch and shock towers

2004 D2 - spring perch and shock towers

yes that's right, you read correctly or saw the damage on Facebook. The spring perch completely failed. completely unattached from frame wall leaving a gaping hole in the outer wall and pushing the shock, spring and shock tower all the way into the engine compartment.

So, I have some ideas on how to fix this but I know have seen some threads here with homemade fixes for D2 towers etc. I would appreciate any help. I am going to cutting metal next weekend so I want to be all prepared.

If you have a design you are willing to share, technical information regarding better designs etc. Anything...I need the help. I am no car builder by any means.

What I'm looking to do aside from repairing the damage to the frame is maybe put doubler plates on both sides of frame and build a custom spring perch. then I would fabricate a custom shock tower as well.

Thanks again and looking forward to the help from the pros here that have posted all these pics of custom work etc.
    1995 LWB
    2004 D2
    2008 E350
    2013 Impreza

BLR #000
    NCLR #42
    SCLR #592

Talk to Gerry as he had to repair something similar on Hovik's DII.
    West Coast purveyor of early Land Rover Parts
    1995 LWB Aspen Silver Edition. AKA DudeMobile...4.6 chipped w cam & headers...4" lift with 255/85R16 tires (33")...ARB lockers front & rear...Etc, etc, etc.

he said he just put it back to stock and did some minor reinforcing
    1995 LWB
    2004 D2
    2008 E350
    2013 Impreza

BLR #000
    NCLR #42
    SCLR #592

You've gotta' stop jumping those dunes and getting air..........
    Ron/Rocky - '04 Discovery S
    Usually found somewhere in Lyon, Pershing, Churchill, Lander, Humboldt Counties..

this happened when Elliott asked how fast i was going down the straight at MDR.....

So like a dummy I decided to check.......at 55mph I had it full open. wasn't going to get any more....then.....pit road ended abruptly and immediately into 2-4 foot whoops......

it was one hell of a ride but i'll never do that again......the campers at the end of pit road must have an awesome show. i probably was 6-8feet in the air for about 30-40 (this is a conservative guess, I actually have no idea) feet and only dumb luck that I landed just the right way and we rode out the rest of the bumps until we slowly stopped in the middle - safe and sound.
    Last edited by badfysh; 04-26-2011 at 10:38 AM.
    1995 LWB
    2004 D2
    2008 E350
    2013 Impreza

BLR #000
    NCLR #42
    SCLR #592

Quote Originally Posted by badfysh View Post
    this happened when Elliott asked how fast i was going down the straight at MDR.....

So like a dummy I decided to check.......at 55mph I had it full open. wasn't going to get any more....then.....pit road ended abruptly and immediately into 2-4 foot whoops......

it was one hell of a ride but i'll never do that again......the campers at the end of pit road must have an awesome show. i probably was 6-8feet in the air for about 30-40 (this is a conservative guess, I actually have no idea) feet and only dumb luck that I landed just the right way and we rode out the rest of the bumps until we slowly stopped in the middle - safe and sound.
    haha I remember that.

Should have kept your foot in it...

Remember Faster is Smoother!

1992 RRC
    1994 Toyota Pickup

We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky112540 View Post
    You've gotta' stop jumping those dunes and getting air..........
    Um what?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OffRoad261.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	27560
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	web3.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	27559

If you need anything modified you hit me up. I'm good at this stuff.
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"