Thread: HSE, are they more reliable than P38's or still problematic...??

HSE, are they more reliable than P38's or still problematic...??

We have a 95 range rover classic and we actually like it a lot, Is has been a great truck, super dependable (yeah weird, but we have cero problems with it) In any case I know you better stay away from the P38's do to all the electronic/electrical problems.

My question is are the newer HSE (2003/2004) more dependable, Or they still have tons of expensive problems...??

Thanks in advance, We want a spacious, (dogs, bikes, crap, etc) safe, "Street Vehicle" for the snow in Utah, but no much offroading (we have the RRC for that)

I found this Posting by Ron Very informative, I'm getting exited

Hey Ricky, howdie? How's Utah? Make anything new/creative for the RRC lately?

My wife and I end up doing that = keeping the older LR for more difficult trails prone to damages (that's what our 90 RRC is for)... and spare our newer LR (well used but new to us 04 DII) for hauling the family in comfort, style and yet if we need to take it to the snow, deep sand, easy to med diff trail... we can.

The Honda Pilot we owned at that time was a great family hauler, snow trips... but w/o transfer case and low clearance, realize will just end up overheating it on deep sand and clearance issues even on easy/med trails e.g. Bald Mountain in Shaver Lake. So to avoid those issues, sold it.

Went back to my old post that you found; what trip back in time! 2008 was a shake-up in the economy. We were concerned - so when we sold the Honda Pilot, we took the proceeds and bought a used 04 DII (still own till today) cash, and have enough left over a year later for 90 RRC (still have it).

We would have purchased a 04 RRC or MKIII had the economy not tanked at that time. With the price difference between the 04 DII and 04 MKIII at that time ($10-15k) would have meant deeping into our emergency savings, and with economy and job stability concerns, no way IMO.

So we stayed within the cash avail for us. No regrets though. The 04 DII and RRC have great vehicles; so would the MKIII I am sure if we decided to buy it at that time.

Fast forward 3 years later since my post, I see the same year 04 MKIII has depreciated like any LR vehicle but not that horribly much since 08. Which means value is holding in the 3rd used car market I call it (1st market is when new, 2nd when they come out of lease or typically 3-5 year term loan, and 3rd after/beyond).

The used 04 MKIIIs I looked at that time were between $25-27k and see today similar vehicle priced between $19-22k: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/2332864413.html or http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2343010383.html

And there are tools out there for the regular consumers like you and me to help w/DIY diagnostics on the MKIII eg. read and rest EAS fault errors from RSW Solutions (not very expensive either for less $200): http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.ph...=268&Itemid=77

Keep us posted with your plans/purchase; bet once you sink your behind on the MKIII and drive it, you might not want to give it back to the seller.
    Last edited by RonCT110; 04-24-2011 at 09:54 AM.
    NCLR BOD www.nclrclub.org

SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=47904

Tread Lightly Trainer

2004 Java Black D2 SE7 "Family AUV" - All-Around Utility Vehicle

1990 CT D110 "Support and Touring Vehicle"

1990 White RRC - Dedicated "Trail Rig"

Quote Originally Posted by RonCT110 View Post
    Hey Ricky, howdie? How's Utah? Make anything new/creative for the RRC lately?
    Hi senor Ron as usual so warm and welcoming, let just say Utah is not San Francisco and leave it at that, actually is not so bad, the nature is amazing and you can find a parking space pretty much anywhere you go.

making stuff... Sadly not much in fact except for oil changes I have not touch the rover for almost two years, is been super dependable maybe thanks to the low miles (55,000) working on the house, riding the bicycles, hiking with the dogs and working working takes most of my time.
    My wife and I end up doing that = keeping the older LR for more difficult trails prone to damages (that's what our 90 RRC is for)... and spare our newer LR (well used but new to us 04 DII) for hauling the family in comfort, style and yet if we need to take it to the snow, deep sand, easy to med diff trail... we can.

The Honda Pilot we owned at that time was a great family hauler, snow trips... but w/o transfer case and low clearance, realize will just end up overheating it on deep sand and clearance issues even on easy/med trails e.g. Bald Mountain in Shaver Lake. So to avoid those issues, sold it.
    Well Lauren finds the Honda Elements really cute, So is been a uphill battle to make here take a look to anything else, Even if she accept she is really impress with our $1000 RRC, Actually the Element is kind of the perfect "Urban" car, tons of space for the dogs and other stuff, somehow comfortable, "4wheel drive" for the snow months and ultra dependable, But The gas kind of sucks for a 4cilinder at about 20MPG.

Went back to my old post that you found; what trip back in time! 2008 was a shake-up in the economy. We were concerned - so when we sold the Honda Pilot, we took the proceeds and bought a used 04 DII (still own till today) cash, and have enough left over a year later for 90 RRC (still have it).

We would have purchased a 04 RRC or MKIII had the economy not tanked at that time. With the price difference between the 04 DII and 04 MKIII at that time ($10-15k) would have meant deeping into our emergency savings, and with economy and job stability concerns, no way IMO.

So we stayed within the cash avail for us. No regrets though. The 04 DII and RRC have great vehicles; so would the MKIII I am sure if we decided to buy it at that time.

Fast forward 3 years later since my post, I see the same year 04 MKIII has depreciated like any LR vehicle but not that horribly much since 08. Which means value is holding in the 3rd used car market I call it (1st market is when new, 2nd when they come out of lease or typically 3-5 year term loan, and 3rd after/beyond).

The used 04 MKIIIs I looked at that time were between $25-27k and see today similar vehicle priced between $19-22k: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/2332864413.html or http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2343010383.html

And there are tools out there for the regular consumers like you and me to help w/DIY diagnostics on the MKIII eg. read and rest EAS fault errors from RSW Solutions (not very expensive either for less $200): http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.ph...=268&Itemid=77

Keep us posted with your plans/purchase; bet once you sink your behind on the MKIII and drive it, you might not want to give it back to the seller.
    Thanks senor for all the advice, Actually around here I have seeing a few 2003 under $14,000 (what is what got my attention) and even the 2004 for about $15.000/$16.000 with around 70.000/100.000 , the look to be in great shape, but then again after reading about the horror storys i'm always a little hesitant.

I tell you more after I check a few of them.

15-16k for 04 MKIII. Now that's a bargain.

Say hello to Lauren. Remember meeting you, her and seeing your dogs @ Costo - I think it was the year you two left SF and moved to Utah. Utah is not like SF but sounds like an outdoor heaven. BTW, Element is a good SUV. I Looked into one in this thread: http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/640RedOpenBeach.JPG

The 2007 and newer suppose to get bet mpg (20 city/25 hwy) with a more fuel eff 5 speed auto transmission (vs prior 4) and 10 hp bump in engine dept. You will find the 4 banger engine slow especially compared to the 04 MKIII's engine from BMW engine.

Perhaps if you start to tinking with your RRC again, you can make it with a pop top like this Honda Element customized with Ursa Minor (company near San Diego).

Sane compan collaborated with this company and make folding pop-top for the Jeep Wranglers. Neat.

NCLR BOD www.nclrclub.org

SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=47904

Tread Lightly Trainer

2004 Java Black D2 SE7 "Family AUV" - All-Around Utility Vehicle

1990 CT D110 "Support and Touring Vehicle"

1990 White RRC - Dedicated "Trail Rig"