Thread: Dead winch!!

Dead winch!!

So I found out why my winch died. See photos. I am going to try and fix it and renew all the parts I can.

NCLR VP HAM KJ7RRC
    93 LWB RRC 3 inch rte lt-230, 35x12.5/15 bfg km2, GBR 4.14 with trutracs front and rear, Rovertracks front Hd axles and cv's, Ashcroft Hd rear axles,
    Rte rear trailing arms,Warn 8k, Custom bumpers front and rear, Flowmaster exhaust ,custom sliders GRB F+R driveshaft, RTE steering links. 12 in Bilstien 7100's

I think you'll be surprised what a wire brush, WD-40 and thick grease (only on the bearings) will do to bring life back to it. As long as the motor brushes are good, it will live! Keep us informed.

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

Now clean.

NCLR VP HAM KJ7RRC
    93 LWB RRC 3 inch rte lt-230, 35x12.5/15 bfg km2, GBR 4.14 with trutracs front and rear, Rovertracks front Hd axles and cv's, Ashcroft Hd rear axles,
    Rte rear trailing arms,Warn 8k, Custom bumpers front and rear, Flowmaster exhaust ,custom sliders GRB F+R driveshaft, RTE steering links. 12 in Bilstien 7100's

And I thought this thread would have pics of some chick hidden in a dumpster at a Renaissance Fair.

Quote Originally Posted by stu454 View Post
    And I thought this thread would have pics of some chick hidden in a dumpster at a Renaissance Fair.
    Nope. Sorry, I have not found one of those yet.
    NCLR VP HAM KJ7RRC

Quote Originally Posted by ciwhamc View Post
    Now clean.
    I thought you were trying to get it working... not looking pretty! Does it live??

Quote Originally Posted by Green Achers View Post
    I thought you were trying to get it working... not looking pretty! Does it live??
    Not sure yet but it is such a simple device that i can't see that it would.not. i found out that it has tiny vents that allow heat out i am assuming. I sealed themotor with silicone. If it overheats.oh well. it let tons of sand dirt and water in. So i figured that's worse than a little heat.
    NCLR VP HAM KJ7RRC

I'm not sure about heat but I'd think keeping it covered when not in use will protect it from everything short of taking it swimming (in which case even sealing it will not help - as the water will get in but then have no was to drain).

It looks nice now and the brushes (my biggest concern) look great. I'll be surprised if you're efforts aren't well rewarded with a working winch. Kudos.