Thread: 8.9 Quake and Aftermath in Japan

8.9 Quake and Aftermath in Japan

Our heart goes out to the people of Japan who was just hit with an 8.9 quake and the aftermath; good to hear our friends/family are ok living there.

Tsumami/wave traveling. How's Australia (Neil P) - seen water level go up?

Friends/family who lives in Hawaii tell me this morning that Tsumami waves up to 6 feet high are expected.

We live 200 yards from the Ocean here in CA so we are preparing for flooding; hopefully not. All our vehicles have been moved further inland; valuables e.g. computer moved upstairs. Eta 8am PST.

Be safe folks living near the water.
    NCLR BOD www.nclrclub.org

SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=47904

Tread Lightly Trainer

2004 Java Black D2 SE7 "Family AUV" - All-Around Utility Vehicle

1990 CT D110 "Support and Touring Vehicle"

1990 White RRC - Dedicated "Trail Rig"

In the shop, doing the Lord's work, one broken Rover at a time!
    I spoke with AFIRover this morning. His in-laws live in Nogano and are safe. His brother in law lives in one of the big cities and is thought to be safe as well.

While I'm glad those I have a connection to are safe, my thoughts are with those who are less fortunate.

Let us all hope and pray they are able to stabilize their nuke plant.
    Wrenchin' to Riches

DBA P T Schram Rover Repair, Churubusco, IN USA

Prayers out to everyone's recovery in Japan. Everyone that is in Hawaii and the West Coasts California be safe!
    97" Defender
    Nicely Equipped

"There are not too few days in our life, but too little life in our days".

Quote Originally Posted by RonCT110 View Post
    ....Friends/family who lives in Hawaii tell me this morning that Tsumami waves up to 6 feet high are expected.

We live 200 yards from the Ocean here in CA so we are preparing for flooding; hopefully not. All our vehicles have been moved further inland; valuables e.g. computer moved upstairs. Eta 8am PST.
    6 feet turned in to 18" I hear .... the good news.

I think CA is experiencing "Y2K" phobia ....

While I would not go swimming in the sea this morning, I think we have a lot of anxious people around unnecessarily. Never hurts to be prepared though.

We'll have our big quake to worry about in not too long, but I'm not loosing sleep. I live on a hill and the house has been moving for the last 60+ years ... so it will probably end up in the next street down.

Take care everyone ...

Graeme
    San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic
    Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop Mud Rovers, various home fabricated protection

1999 Discovery 2
    Now wearing 265/75-16 BFG All Terrain T/A KO KM2

2000 Discovery 2, non-sunroof model, with hole in the side of the engine block ....

1993 Jaguar XJS convertible
    1971 Triumph GT6
    1959 Morris Minor convertible
    other assorted British pot metal ...

None event here near Berkeley/East Bay Shore.

Saw stronger than usual waves, but nothing to be worried about (plus receive a broadcast phone msg from the county's EMS re: no need to evac).

Early this a.m., just in case we had to evacuate since we live less than 200 yards from the shore and concern re: poss flooding, we loaded the DII (wife driving) and CT110 (I am driving) w/emergency goodies. Our plan is to head to Central Valley away from the coast, and meet in our 2nd home, and if we get sep, incorp plans to call one of our parents living in Nevada as msg posting center.

Also our emergency goodies, a weel supplies of food/water, gas cans, and food for our family dog, etc...) sit in the corner of the garage and ready to go; only took 5 mins to load!

Willing to leave behind and sacrifice the Prius; RRC sits higher w/a lift and on 33s so no worries

Joking set aside, good to be prepared; we are expecting the next "Big Quake" here in the Bay Area especially folks who live near the Hayward fault; scientist estimate that there is a 67% chance the next one will happen before 2020.

I am not loosing sleep either Graeme; just good to be prepared.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.JPG   3.JPG   4.JPG   8.JPG   9.JPG  

Last edited by RonCT110; 03-11-2011 at 10:09 AM.
    NCLR BOD www.nclrclub.org

SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=47904

Tread Lightly Trainer

2004 Java Black D2 SE7 "Family AUV" - All-Around Utility Vehicle

1990 CT D110 "Support and Touring Vehicle"

1990 White RRC - Dedicated "Trail Rig"

To see what they have been experiencing for the past couple of days, take a look here:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...140_40_eqs.php (the list is updated every 30 minutes, or so)

To convert from the UTC time shown:

http://hurricanes.noaa.gov/zulu-utc.html
    "I am never more serious than when I am joking."

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeBear View Post
    6 feet turned in to 18" I hear .... the good news.

I think CA is experiencing "Y2K" phobia ....

While I would not go swimming in the sea this morning, I think we have a lot of anxious people around unnecessarily. Never hurts to be prepared though.

We'll have our big quake to worry about in not too long, but I'm not loosing sleep. I live on a hill and the house has been moving for the last 60+ years ... so it will probably end up in the next street down.

Take care everyone ...

Graeme
    I'm not sure the concern is a phobia, rather a healthy respect.

Gov. Brown issued a State of Emergency for Tsunami effected Counties
    Crescent City and Santa Cruz had their share of damage - "in the Millions" [but how many boats does a million dollars buy??].
    Santa Cruz
    Crescent City

It has been a while since we've had a good shaker though, so I'm sure everyone's done a good job of forgetting and storing their junk up high/unsecured.

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Green Achers View Post
    I'm not sure the concern is a phobia, rather a healthy respect.

Gov. Brown issued a State of Emergency for Tsunami effected Counties
    Crescent City and Santa Cruz had their share of damage - "in the Millions" [but how many boats does a million dollars buy??].
    I haven't heard of anything other than boats being damaged, and that happens in a good winter storm. Many owners don't know how to secure them correctly anyway, so they damage themselves. As you say, "in the millions" .... and there are cars around here that cost almost that ....

The only deaths and major injuries in the U.S. seem to be people who though it was a good idea to go paddling, or go and shoot a video. I'd be more concerned with the safety of the people that had to rescue those fools.

Now in Japan they have real problems, and I hope the news 'hysteria' here (just listen to the reporter dramatizing on the link you posted) doesn't undermine that.

Regards,

Graeme
    San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic
    Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop Mud Rovers, various home fabricated protection

1999 Discovery 2
    Now wearing 265/75-16 BFG All Terrain T/A KO KM2

2000 Discovery 2, non-sunroof model, with hole in the side of the engine block ....

1993 Jaguar XJS convertible
    1971 Triumph GT6
    1959 Morris Minor convertible
    other assorted British pot metal ...

Quote Originally Posted by RonCT110 View Post
    Tsumami/wave traveling. How's Australia (Neil P) - seen water level go up?
    I'm half way down the Eastern seaboard , and there's nothing
    happening here Ron . Can't believe that after the New Zealand 24/7 coverage ,
    the TV stations are showing standard Saturday old films and sport . This just
    ain't right ! Where's the coverage ! 4.6 footer on your land block at Hi . It's an active
    year around the Rim of Fire.
    Last edited by neil p; 03-11-2011 at 07:52 PM.