Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking the Family to Laguna, Philippines This Summer

Taking the Family to Laguna, Philippines This Summer

Staying in the province of Los Banos in Laguna.

Primarily to visit my wife's family and the University of the Philippines w/interest in their research center.

Time frame: summer (our summer here in the USA - rainy season over there). Length 2 weeks.

Only stopping in Manila for airport service/fly-in/out. Otherwise, will try to get out of the city asap and staight to the province.

My memories of Manila 25 years ago, my last vist, was insane driving, busy and crowed streets. Scary exp driving in a two lane street turned into five and seems no rules. And once ouf the city it was much better

Since my wife, and 2 boys (6 and 8 yr olds) have limited time, any travel tips, place to visit, and activity suggestions that's friendly yet on the adventure side.

I looked into places to visit, but always good to hear first hand from exp travelers.

We're open to ideas from e.g. trekking the jungle (maybe just me and my 8 year old; although my wife is tough - she and I have been camping in Northen jungle of Thailand), or check-out wild life (spent some time at an Orangutan Santuary in Sepilok).

Or just chilin at the beach. But probably can only do that for a couple of hours, then bored; rather snorkel or seek more active things to do.

Mount Makiling is not far I hear for hiking - although I have not been there.

Bohol is a domestic flight away... I hear worth the trip.

Also any LRRF members here belong to the Land Rover Club of PI? Want to see what trips they have lined up during my visit -perhaps ask for shot gun and share the cost of the trip.

Travel tips or suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks!

PS - no travel tip like don't eat balut; I am passed that. Lol.

And no! Look for hookers is not an option. Or box Manny Pacquiao on a Sunday afternoon and get brain damage. This is a family forum as a reminder.
    Last edited by RonCT110; 02-27-2011 at 08:15 PM.
    NCLR BOD www.nclrclub.org

SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=47904

Tread Lightly Trainer

2004 Java Black D2 SE7 "Family AUV" - All-Around Utility Vehicle

1990 CT D110 "Support and Touring Vehicle"

1990 White RRC - Dedicated "Trail Rig"

Last time I was there was about 15 years ago. Down in Legaspi. Basically the same as you described it. Have a fun and safe trip.

Sounds like a fun trip Ron...it'd be cool if you could hook up with the local LRclub. I'll do some surfing and see what comes up.

Have fun!
    [/SIGPIC]Enrique, Susie, Sebastian 12 & Isabel 4yrs old.

Mexxi's Restaurant & Catering.
    Catering to the farthest corner of the planet, in a Land Rover, of course!

Land Rover stable:
    1962 IIA 109 Reg. in resurrection process.
    1992 RRC SOLD
    1998 Disco I with a peppy 4.6
    2006 LR3 HSE

Just got back from PI/TH last week!... Laguna? Not such a good place! Tagaytay would be more family friendly (about an hour away from Laguna). Taal Vista hotel that over looks Taal volcano has good food & CLEAN rooms, kid friendly, they also have Ylang Ylang spa. Nurture Spa Village, also in Tagaytay, really would be my first choice, but not so kid friendly. Google and read some reviews.

If you have no choice about Laguna, due to family (lol), I suggest renting a house with natural spring water pool (i have some contacts in Laguna too) private and safe!

How are you getting around? Also have contact- Their vans are newer @ 1,700 PHP per day.

normally I rent a condo in Eastwood City (safe & clean) that I use as my jump off point, from there you're a backpack away from anywhere.

Domestic Destination- You gotta go to to Palawan, El Nido Resort!

Sounds like you've done the Bangkok/Pattaya thing already (Soi Cowboy), but as a fellow trekker, I love Thailand.

OH, if you don't mind a 5-6 hour drive from Manila, check out Baler, province of Aurora... Good Waves!!

PICTURE PICTURE!!!

Last edited by KMET; 02-28-2011 at 04:34 PM.
    O6 LR3

if your facebook savy id contact Robby Consunji he is an editor of Top Gear Philippines he is also very active with land rover community over there.

Robby played a big role in getting Team Philippines a 2nd place finish this year in the Rain Forest Challenge held in Malaysaia

I'd highly recommend venturing in to Mt. Pinatubo
    here is a link of a trip of Mt. Pinatubo I went on back in 2008
    http://pangaea-expeditions.com/2008/09/18/mt-pinatubo/
    97" Defender
    Nicely Equipped

"There are not too few days in our life, but too little life in our days".

heres a video of Land Rover 60th anniversary in the Philippines
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rybonrpdqnc[/ame]

lots of mud
    97" Defender
    Nicely Equipped

"There are not too few days in our life, but too little life in our days".

Thanks Kmet for the info.

D90Dang, I reached out to Robby; thanks for the lead.

Also thanks for the link to Pangaea Expedition, and I enjoyed the 60th anniv vid (looks like Defenders are avail over there). Now I know were to spend my retirement money when the time comes.

Tread Lightly Trainer

Sounds like a group road trip (or boat trip) to the PI; you plan the Southern Mexico trip. And if it works out and turns out to be a worthy adventure trip to the PI, you're welcome to join me next time.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoChef View Post
    Sounds like a fun trip Ron...it'd be cool if you could hook up with the local LRclub. I'll do some surfing and see what comes up.

Have fun!

Tread Lightly Trainer

Kmet, thanks again for the info and offer.

After a long 12 hour flight, finally get settled and a cold San Miguel beer on hand; I imagine this picture (I like this photo you took):

Tread Lightly Trainer

Just Got Back from the PI

Ended up going sooner than later for a funeral. All is well with my family; didn't have much time to explore since our focus was to spend time w/grieving family members and show our respect to tour dearly beloved who passed-on.

After the funeral, stayed pretty much in Laguna, checked out the hot springs, and hikings near University of the Philippines. And managed to get away for a bit to a resort called Villa Escodero. Enjoyed our stay despite the circumstances of our visit.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Original plan was to go in July and explore a lot more places, but family comes first so plans changed. Will have to come back again next year. What I missed the most is the fresh fish cooked daily and Mabuhay spirit of the Pilipinos (San Miguel beer helped - lol).

I did connect with Robby from the Land Rover Club of the Philippines; they have a schedule trip to Mt Pinatubo at month end, but will miss it since it's I am back for work already! Maybe next time.

Here are random shots from my tip:

Pic 1 - My troop - just arrived. My kids enjoy their stay (it's first time visiting)

Pic 2 - Wow! A D130 H/C pick-up truck w/manila plates. Nice!

Pic 3 - Got around in-town via colorful Jeepnies (we hired a driver to take us on longer distance trips)

Pic 4 - Laguna was about 2 hrs away from Manila; weather in the PI was hot (May time frame is summer over there) w/temp in the 80s arleady by mid-morning and 90s in the afternoon plus very humid.

Pic 5 - Behind our house in Laguna lived a farmer who raised roosters for fights.

Pic 6 - Lots of bugs. Nothing too scary except occassional giant bugs size of a bird flying around at night. Lol.

Pic 7 - My son washing his feet on a water fall.

Pic 8 - Tropical paradise. My 6 yr old and his cousin returning from a walk in our backyard.

Pic 9 - Intense orange sunsets

Pic 10 - Yes, San Miguel beer time (watching the Pacman vs Mosley fight on cable).

More pictures...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.JPG   1a.JPG   1b.JPG   1c.JPG   1d.JPG  

1e.JPG   1f.JPG   1g.JPG   1h.JPG   1hh.JPG  

Last edited by RonCT110; 05-17-2011 at 09:43 PM.

Tread Lightly Trainer