Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land Rover disco 1 chevy 5.3 swap and chop

Land Rover disco 1 chevy 5.3 swap and chop

I have a 98 land rover discovery that has a blown engine and bad transmission. I have purchased a 5.3 chevy v8 out of a 02 chevy tahoe with a 4l60. Since the rover has a passenger side front diff housing I will be using a dana 300 transfer case. The original drivetrain as axles and suspension will stay the same. I will update this page as much as work allows. If you have any information that may be useable let me know.

Cheers

Pretty straight forward, get an aftermarket ECU flashed to run however you want it to, may want to ditch the MAF and run speed density. The LQ intake may also be an issue with the hood, LQs are tall motors. Pretty sure you can run the LS intake on an LQ, but not 100%.

You may also have fuel pressure issues, the Rover v8 runs fairly low feul pressure, and that may cause starvation in the LQ.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem.

Max,
    Thanks for a response. I will be running a aftermarket in line fuel pump with adjustable regulator. I'm looking into a ls1 car intake manifold to keep the height down. The ECM will be a standalone unit. I plan on still using the factory gear shifter in the rover. I will use the factory fuel tank and use all new plumbing. Max I will update some pictures as I drag it out of a field and into the shop.

Cheers

I am currently in a dilemma on wheels for the disco. I have talked with kmc and they can custom make their 122 true beadlocks in the 5on6.5 bolt pattern. I need to discuss with trail ready if they have the same capabilities. Any input is appreciated because their is not much for options in a aluminum wheel.

Cheers
    Last edited by N855RE; 02-24-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Any beadlock wheel should be available on a custom basis in Rover bolt pattern, it not, get blanks and have a local machine shop drill them.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem.

Max, you seem to be very knowleable in the rover side, If you see something I may be doing wrong let me know. I plan on running the factory axles and suspension. I'm not sure of the strengths compared to a dana 44 or even 8.8 but we will try and see. Max, the backspace kmc offers for their 17x8.5 wheel is 5.5 inches. How do you think this would fit and what tire size would be appropriate. I say this because I am in between using toyo open country mts and bfg km2's.

Cheers
    Last edited by N855RE; 02-24-2011 at 09:38 PM.

If you're going to switch the transfer case might want to spend some time playing with a gearing calculator because the dana 300 has very different gearing from the stock lt230. You will probably want to change the ring and pinion to something stronger anyway but with the 3.54's in the diff and the dana 300 you wont have much of a low range compared to the stock disco. http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html This is a fun gearing calculator to play with.

I'm in the middle of putting a genIII 5.3 in my series rig right now. Cant wait! I'm going with a NP435 with the granny 1st gear, series t case and 4.14 r&p in my rig, plus a santana o'd.

Good luck with your swap and keep us posted.

Daniel

Daniel,

Glad to see someone else doing a swap into a rover. I have a series rover that I will restore one of this days If I ever get the time. I will be using this for a daily driver and not rock crawling. It will see some trails but nothing too serious because I have a tube chassis crawler for that. I plan on keeping AC and heat, working windows, working sunroof (if I can get it to stop leaking), changing the gauge cluster out to a http://www.racepak.com/Components/IQ3_Display.php .
    I will be going to get the rover early next week so I will post some pictures getting it loaded up. Any input is appreciated.

Cheers,

Anyone have suggestions on wiring harness from previous experience? I have used FAST stand alone units but that is about as far as my experience has gone with a standalone system.

Daniel,
    Did all of the Disco 1's come with a 3.54 R&P? I figure I will get the conversion done and then see how it drives. I currently haven't planned on lifting the disco but I'm sure it will be done before the year is out.

Yes they did all come with that gearing. the dana300 has a 1:1 high range and the lt230 has a 1.22 for the high range. Also the spread between high and low is greater with the lt230. You might find it cheaper to adapt the lt230 to the 4l60e and keep the stock diffs, but they aren't that strong so because you will probably want to upgrade them anyway so you'll have to decide what to do. There are lots of options with the 4l60e.

Daniel