Thread: Tail light guard fab

Tail light guard fab

Shattered my taillight up snow bashing a couple of weeks ago and it caused a lot of problems. To help keep it from happening again I made my own guard. It turned out a lot better than I thought it would and I think a lot better than any aftermarket ones. It took about four hours and with mild steel it would be about $20 in materials.

I used 3/8 cro-moly rod and 8-32 nutserts with stainless screws. I bent the side rails and then just bent and tacked each rung from top down. It still needs finished up and I will post pics after paint
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails small.jpg   DSC00149.JPG   DSC00150.JPG   DSC00152.JPG   DSC00153.JPG  

Last edited by CbIdrive; 02-13-2011 at 07:24 AM.

Nice job. Sweet look to 'em. Very stylish. I have a set of OEM light guards that I've had for 2 years...no hardware and cant figure out how to mount them for less than $100 for factory hardware; how did you do it? Tips would be helpful. Or I'll buy a custom set from you if you want to make a second pair. Either way.

DarrinK

They were really simple to make. I bent everything in a vice with a cheater pipe. Once the side pieces are made and mounted just use a metal tape measure to figure out the length and where the bend tangent line is. I tacked the rungs in place on the truck.

I used cro-moly only because we had some extra at the shop. Mild steel would cost a lot less and I think you can pick up nuserts at any auto parts store.

All finished up and painted. They came out nice and tight and dont stick out far enough from the side to catch branches. Total time 5hrs and $0 since boss let me have materials and I already had the paint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00160.JPG   DSC00161.JPG   DSC00162.JPG   DSC00163.JPG   DSC00157.JPG  

Last edited by CbIdrive; 02-14-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Very nice. They look great. Is that a helicopter in the background at your shop?

Daniel

Nice Mark, but the rest of that car scares me!

----
    Edit Note:

Hey. Where did Mark Smith's posting go with this photo attached? Now my reply doesn't make sense!

Last edited by Green Achers; 02-17-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

A bunch of postings were lost on a lot of threads. This is our whirly bird the plane is a Citabria. The heli is a Astar BA with a camera hanging off the nose for mapping. Wont let me upload pic
    Last edited by CbIdrive; 02-18-2011 at 07:21 AM.

Oh yeah that is nice... where did you get the nuts certs from?
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"