Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cracked my Cooling System Bleeder Valve? OEM replacement necessary?

Well, I know I used it to bleed the coolant system, which is how it broke.

I don't see how you will get all the air out if you don't use it, it is clearly been installed and designed to be the high point of the entire cooling/heater system.
    Neill
    2005 LR3 HSE
    1984 D90 300Tdi
    1965 Series IIA 88"
    Come Join Us On An Adventure! Land Rover Club of San Diego

Bleeder Hose part # LR006158

Quote Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
    It's not part of the radiator, but it is part of the cooling system as a whole.

If you remove the engine cover, right on top will be a cooling hose that runs from front to back, and in the middle will be a small plastic "T" with a metal cap on the 3rd fitting. This is the bleed valve.

Mine literally disintegrated in my hands. The tubing was just fine, but the "T" fitting had seriously deteriorated.

As below, I found this jpg of the bleeder hose assembly on the MiamiBritish site.

Now if I just knew the ID of the hose, it could size a brass bleeder alternative to the plastic; also I suppose a plastic alternate, but then one just may as well go with the Land Rover part # LR006158 as below, (old part number 4729521).

2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; 18" x 10 spoke wheels; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion Fog light bulbs; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion device; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Upper liftgate cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented discs; 3 Blink signal light mod; Clock on the Dash; LR4 shorter hitch receiver; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav data update.

Quote Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
    Well, I know I used it to bleed the coolant system, which is how it broke.

I don't see how you will get all the air out if you don't use it, it is clearly been installed and designed to be the high point of the entire cooling/heater system.
    I'm in agreement with you on bleeding. It's pretty important and if the price is having to replace it every time I bleed then so be it. We all know that aluminum Rover motors don't survive being overheated so I'm not willing to take the risk. A high quality replacement is the way to go and I'm sure we can find one in short order.
    2006 LR3 SE7 Heavy-Duty Pkg & 285/60 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    2003 Discovery II SE w/RTE 2" & 265/75 BFG KM (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by bbyer View Post
    Now if I just knew the ID of the hose
    Doesn't the Bleeder valve have 1/4" stamped on it?

My bleeder valve is still OK so ..

Well my bleeder valve is still OK so I was hoping someone who had an old or new hose would measure the ID - in other words, have not had to replace anything yet.

I have an idea as to some suitable brass fittings, and wanted to post a pdf of same, but for some reason, I cannot post pdf's right now. I also tried on my laptop and no joy either so I do not think the problem is my desktop computer either.

Last night, I did a post on the LRR computer forum troubles section as to my woes - maybe others are having the same problems - can still post jpgs to my album and did a jpg of the brass fittings, but it is too small a jpg to be readable. Right now the problem is not being able to post pdfs and jpgs directly into a post as I have in the past. I can transfer jpgs across from the album into a post by using the bb function, but of course not pdfs as one cannot post pdfs into the album.
    2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; 18" x 10 spoke wheels; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion Fog light bulbs; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion device; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Upper liftgate cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented discs; 3 Blink signal light mod; Clock on the Dash; LR4 shorter hitch receiver; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav data update.

This is the reason most American companies has a policy regarding drinking on the job! Nice design - not.

The American design looks like this.
    Last edited by Green Achers; 02-18-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

I have the spare hose in the garage. I'm not great at measuring anything, but it seems easy enough to use the smooth end of some drill bits to gauge the ID.

two design groups plus management

It was two independent design groups assisted by management who tied their efforts together with the plastic bleeder.

I see that you can post jpgs anyway so the problem must be at my end.

The funny part about all this is that to drain the rad, you have to remove the lower hose as any drain at all has been deleted. Your solution has yet to be discovered.

PDF showing proposed brass fittings; also engine hose diagram.

Per the previous posts, I was able to find the part number, (current part number LR006158 or old part number 4729521) of the bleeder hose assembly.

Per the pdf below, I am wondering what the ID of the hoses are as I have an idea for a spare to carry about in lieu of a BIC pen.

Also the hose OD, as I would need a couple of hose clamps as well.

Rather than a replacement tee fitting, brass or plastic, or just a simple straight hose to hose barbed brass connector, I am thinking of a brass Ball Seat swivel coupler fitting arrangement, similar to part number 131-xx, 134-xx, and 126-xx from a Fairview Fittings jpg posted below.

The idea is that the ball seat can be loosened to bleed off the air, and then the metal to metal ball seat can be tightened up and would be leak resistant.

To figure out what the xx would be, I therefore need the hose ID, and for the clamps, the OD, but that I can determine myself by removing the plastic "beauty" cover from over top the engine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hose Assembly Bleeder LR006158.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey Guys just had this fall to pieces on my LR3 last night. One question around bleeding the system - later today -
    IS this the only bleed valve to use to get all the air out?
    I read somewhere the old Disco had a few others around the system - is why I am asking.
    Thanks!
    Chris