Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cracked my Cooling System Bleeder Valve? OEM replacement necessary?

Cracked my Cooling System Bleeder Valve? OEM replacement necessary?

Hey dudes,

Did my T-stat install today and after bleeding the cooling system I accidentally tightened the Bleeder cap down too tightly and cracked the plastic Tee-Junction. It's hairline, but allows coolant to dribble.

Do I need to go to LR for an OEM part? Is that necessary for this piece?

Thanks,

Dave
    2006 LR3 SE7 Heavy-Duty Pkg & 285/60 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    2003 Discovery II SE w/RTE 2" & 265/75 BFG KM (RIP)

If you're bleeding coolant, you've lost pressure (changed your boiling tempature) and will be sucking air when parked. This is a required repair and I wouldn't drive it until complete (unless to go a few miles to get the part).

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

I did the exact same thing on mine... and you can't get just the bleed valve, you get the hoses on either side of it as well. I think it was like 20 bucks.
    Neill
    2005 LR3 HSE
    1984 D90 300Tdi
    1965 Series IIA 88"
    Come Join Us On An Adventure! Land Rover Club of San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Green Achers View Post
    If you're bleeding coolant, you've lost pressure (changed your boiling tempature) and will be sucking air when parked. This is a required repair and I wouldn't drive it until complete (unless to go a few miles to get the part).
    No way I'm driving this until the valve is replaced. I can't even find them at the local Kragen so to the dealer I'll go.

Replaced it. Symes LR must mark up their prices because I paid $40 after tax. The parts guy said it was the third one he'd sold today. I replaced the front hose to the T-stat, but left the rear hose since it looked like a PITA.

The new bleeder valve has a large opening vs the small pin opening of the last one. I opened it up to be greeted to a roostertail like spout... Guess that means no air in the system?

I did the exact same thing... left the back one in and replaced the front...

I would also say you are now air free!

My price might have been cheaper as members of LRCSD get discounted pricing at the dealer.
    Neill
    2005 LR3 HSE
    1984 D90 300Tdi
    1965 Series IIA 88"

What is a bleeder valve?

Is this something to do with draining the radiator or? ... the valve sounds delicate.

I guess what does it look like and where is it?

It seems nothing on a Land Rover is like a normal vehicle - guess that is why they are special - always a procedure and it is not the usual one.
    Last edited by bbyer; 02-13-2011 at 07:04 AM.
    2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; 18" x 10 spoke wheels; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion Fog light bulbs; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion device; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Upper liftgate cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented discs; 3 Blink signal light mod; Clock on the Dash; LR4 shorter hitch receiver; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav data update.

Mine literally disintegrated on a trail run the other day. A fellow LR3 owner quickly pointed out the issue and we did a trail repair by cutting up a bic pen and splicing the hose together. Let me see, that was three weeks ago now
    I'm heading to the shop in the next week and will have them replace with the LR part then...
    2005 LR3 HSE, Dual Batteries, RS Stage III sliders, Rod-Mod, Mantec Front Skid, Rasta hidden winch w/Warn 9.5xp, 3/8" synth rope, 32" Goodyear Dura-Tracs, Viair 400c OBA, 10# CO2 PowerTank, HI-Lift with various recovery gear.

Bleeder Cap Part Number Please?

When you get the part number, would you post it?

This bleeder cap sounds like it should be added to my not so little spare parts kit.
    2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; 18" x 10 spoke wheels; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion Fog light bulbs; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion device; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Upper liftgate cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented discs; 3 Blink signal light mod; Clock on the Dash; LR4 shorter hitch receiver; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav data update.

Quote Originally Posted by bbyer View Post
    Is this something to do with draining the radiator or? ... the valve sounds delicate.

I guess what does it look like and where is it?

It seems nothing on a Land Rover is like a normal vehicle - guess that is why they are special - always a procedure and it is not the usual one.
    It's not part of the radiator, but it is part of the cooling system as a whole.

If you remove the engine cover, right on top will be a cooling hose that runs from front to back, and in the middle will be a small plastic "T" with a metal cap on the 3rd fitting. This is the bleed valve.

Mine literally disintegrated in my hands. The tubing was just fine, but the "T" fitting had seriously deteriorated.
    Neill
    2005 LR3 HSE
    1984 D90 300Tdi
    1965 Series IIA 88"