Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LR3 sunroof not working..?

Apparently , this trick with holding a close button for 20-30 seconds works, indeed.It is usually required after a complete battery disconnect for longer periods of time as a sunroof computer recalibration.I had to do it last year , after working with battery and front seats removal.

I hate to hijack this thread, but since problem has been resolved, i suddenly don't feel to guilty now..Since we are on diagnostics level lately, I would like to ask a question.
    Today I finally managed to click a "secret button" with success and after punching in a 3 digit code I ventured into a world of diagnostics screen on cars Navi.One then can select a different options and check the car's many systems . I wanted to see my battery's voltage and my screen showes constant 13.5 V.I , then turned on a CD, lights and both heated seats looking for voltage spikes.All I could see was constant 13.5.
    Is this proper charge for LR3 battery or it should be higher?

Unlike "less sophisticated" cars, the LR3's engine ECU controls the charging output of the alternator. It figures in all sorts of things like current electrical load, battery voltage, temperature, etc.

So the charging voltage may change at any given time, especially if it's cold or hot outside.

You won't see any spikes when the engine is running as all the major systems that would draw power are on the car's multiple data buses. So for example when you hit the heated seats button a message is sent from the control panel to the Central Junction Box, which checks the available power output and load of the electrical system. If there isn't enough juice (say if the engine isn't running) they won't turn on. If it looks like it can power it, the EMS ECU will ramp up alternator output at the same time the CJB turns on the heated seat.

It's a very smart system. If the battery is low, it actually cycles the heated stuff on and off, rotating the load from the seats, windscreen, rear window, washer jets, etc. It also factors in the air compressor and cycles that in if needed. You won't be able to turn up the radio very loud to save power on the amplifier.... all sorts of small things add up. Once the battery is charged again then everything becomes available.
    Neill
    2005 LR3 HSE
    1984 D90 300Tdi
    1965 Series IIA 88"
    Come Join Us On An Adventure! Land Rover Club of San Diego

It was actually at morning start up after engine running at idle for about 10 minutes
    In the afternoon when i pulled on my driveway and pressed diagnostics screen in was still 13.5.I am still wondering if it is in between acceptable parameters at it is too low and it means that alternator in slowly going out. It was slightly warmer outside when i came back from work.I don't really want to connect my Faultmate( I wait til it is warmer outside for some diagnostics), but just wonted to know what is the healthy output of alternator these days.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
    Bummer. It's actually a real simple system. The power goes from fuse 20 to the controller... it takes control cues from the switch and LIN bus, and operates the motor.

If you try and operate it without the engine running but with the interior lights on, do the lights dim slightly when you press the buttons? That might indicate that it's trying to move and is jammed in some way, as the motor is drawing power that's dimming the lights.

Other than that, you are going to need a Faultmate or T4/IDS to scan the LIN network for fault information.

There is one other trick you can try, which is to try and force a sunroof position recalibration... start the truck, and hold the "close" button for at least 20 seconds. Do it for 40 to be sure. This might kick-start it into working again. Long shot, but you never know.

Well, I saw your post and tried the 15 amp fuse (F20) and it was fine. I then checked the sun roof with the interior lights on but with the vehicle off. No dimming...I then started the vehicle and held the close button and started counting...After about a minute nothing but when I kept the button held and turned off the middle interior light switch, the sunroof moved. I turned off the lights and tried the sunroof VIOLA!

Thanks again to the many knowledgeable Roverholics in here that keep us from spending unnecessary funds for fixes we can do ourselves. Once again, I'm smiling!

Now I have to tackle the broken electric latch wire for the rear lift gates...

This man is a genius

Last night my sunroof would not open so Immediatly thought it was the fuse. The fuse was not blown and then decided to do a troubleshoot search and came across this post. Wouldn't you know, start the truck hold the sunroof control in the closed position for 20 seconds and it reset. Sunroof works now...Thanks for the heads up [/QUOTE]

This happened to me also. The sunroof would not open due to ice on the roof and when I tried to open the sunroof it just would not open. After the ice melted away I tried to open the sunroof again, nothing happened. I did the steps that Navydevildoc said and just like Txrova it worked. No draw on the light but just holding down the close button until you hear something - then it opened and worked. Thanks for the tips.

David
    2007 LR3

Unfortunately, my sunroof won't open at all...even trying the trick, checking the fuse, etc.
    2006 LR3 HSE - Chawton White on Black, Cold weather pkg, Navi, HD pkg, 7-seater, DVD, G4 rack/ladder.
    Former: 1990 Range Rover Classic

Thank you all. My sunroof was stuck open for most of today. Just tried the reset as suggested and it worked.

Secret screens, magic sunroofs, this is getting good. Anyone want to share the "secrets" for the benefit of everyone else.
    PM me for Diff Parts, fridges, hitches