Thread: Impact absorbing vs. non-impact absorbing bumpers?

Impact absorbing vs. non-impact absorbing bumpers?

I recently had a minor front-end collision and the ARB front bumper on my D2 was pushed down, causing the side-wings to rotate up and damage the finders. The impact was very minor, the airbags did not delpoy. ARB uses an impact absorbing bracket to attach the bumper to the frame. It's this bracket that caused the bumper to be pushed down.

I'm wondering if I should I get new custom solid brackets or just replace with ARB impact absorbing brackets? I asked ARB if they made solid brackets but they said the impact-absorbing design protects the frame. However, the impact was so minor, I'm worried if I used a winch, it would tweak the bumper.

How do other manufacturers attach their bumpers to the frame? Do they attach to the aluminum crush cans or directly to the frame?

--Yubert
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6622.JPG   IMG_6624.JPG   IMG_6627.JPG   DSCF0451.JPG   DSCF0453_A.jpg  

DSCF0450.JPG  
    2000 D2 SD w/BFG MT 255/85/16, 3" lift, ARB front bumper, custom rear bumper & rock sliders, Mantec snorkel, CDL, KMC front & rear diff guard, Columbia Rovers gas tank skid, LR front skid, RoverTracks HD tie rod & drag link, BajaRack roof rack, GBR HD rear driveshaft & 4.14 gears, Trutrac LSD front w/Detroit rear locker, Ashcroft HD axles & CV, Polybush Dynamic bushings, blr HD engine mounts

2000 D2 stock w/BFG AT-KO 245/75/16, TF front & KMC rear diff guard, RockStar Fab rear door panel

This is a notorious issue with the "air bag compatible" ARB bumpers, and the reason most hardcore wheelers don't use them. The RTE bumpers use 3 bolts per frame horn. The 2 in the stock location that you are using and a third vertical bolt which helps prevent the twisting you have experienced with your bumper. I don't have any good pics of the mounting location of my RTE, but I'm sure someone has some to post or search around for them.
    NCLR #70 BOD member

"RovrFlo" '01 D2 108,000 miles
    mods vids 2008 & 2009 trips 2010 trips 2011 trips

That's why I got rid of my ARB. Well that and the chance of tweeking it winching. Some times I'll see those crush cans on eBay. You can have somebody make you a more solid setup, using thicker steel.
    Kimo, Kathryn, Kaylyn, Kaleb and usually 1 or 2 other victims.

2001 Disco 2 SE7
    D1 CDL Linkage
    OME 766/763 lift 2" spacer and a D1 rear perch, EE Retained.
    10" Schroeder Valve 7100s in the front...12" SB 7100s 400/100 in the rear
    33 12.50 15 BFG KM2s
    EBC Rotors and Pads
    Bottorf lil' Guy Winch bumper with $3 High lift mounts.
    Bottorf Rear Bumper w/ swing away
    Roverland Sliders
    Tom Woods Front shaft (goes nice with the fresh cats and new tranny... ugh... Trans #3 now)

Yubert,
    Pm me your number and I'll call you with a fix tomorrow.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Mike View Post
    Yubert,
    Pm me your number and I'll call you with a fix tomorrow.
    Ok, I will send a PM. It seems other bumpers attach directly to the frame, eliminating the crush cans. So perhaps that's the route I should take.
    2000 D2 SD w/BFG MT 255/85/16, 3" lift, ARB front bumper, custom rear bumper & rock sliders, Mantec snorkel, CDL, KMC front & rear diff guard, Columbia Rovers gas tank skid, LR front skid, RoverTracks HD tie rod & drag link, BajaRack roof rack, GBR HD rear driveshaft & 4.14 gears, Trutrac LSD front w/Detroit rear locker, Ashcroft HD axles & CV, Polybush Dynamic bushings, blr HD engine mounts

2000 D2 stock w/BFG AT-KO 245/75/16, TF front & KMC rear diff guard, RockStar Fab rear door panel

I've always been of the opinion that winch bumpers should mounted solidly to the frame, either welded or bolted. I would personally rather replace a bent chunk of frame than deal with the mangled body panels that usually result from a crush can crushing.

Your armor should not be bending, learned that the hard way with a TJM bumper, tapped a rock and the POS folded and wrecked my driver side fender as a result. 5k pounds moving at even 5mph is a whole lot of kinetick energy, new bumper does not bend, just repaint every couple trips.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem.

So Max how much would you charge for making a set of solid mounting brackets?