Thread: Roof rack fab from scratch

Roof rack fab from scratch

Here is my RRC roof rack fab, its not done yet, very slow going , Doesnt help that im teaching my self to weld, 1" steel tubing 1/8" thickness, after im done will be extremely solid, Let me know your comments, More pics to come with project
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails roofrack1.JPG   roofrack2.JPG   roofrack3.JPG  

Looks good. Is it full length? Do you plan any cross supports to add strenght? I don't have a welder but really would like to take on a project like this. I just put a floor in the one I designed but I had the community college build it.

Roof Rack

Yes it will have all cross supports and at least 3 gutter mounts on each side. It is full length, or at least right up to the back of the sun roof. The Steel is 1/8 thick, not sure what weight rating would be but 300+ pounds will be absoutley no problem.

I would suggest you use a sheilding gas when you weld insted of that flux coating stuff yourf welds will be cleaner and less work when it coms time to do the cleaning before painting

Yeah prep your metal too. If you have a wire wheeled grinder attachment, I would use that every chance you get. You'll notice a huge difference in your weld quality. The cleaner your metal the prettier the welds. Trust me. Even on rust. I use the twisted wire wheels on everything. They are a little expensive but well worth the money.
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=1326945670813

NOT THIS because you will find little wires all over you and your floor. In your pants and shirt. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM1771681301P
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"